Do they make 6 inch concrete blocks?

Page 3 of 4

Yep. 23 posts and I am the only one who even answered his question. From Post 2 on it is all criticism of how he "screwed up".
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

Facts really suck for you don't they?
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 15, 5:08 am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

obviously you didnt get a permit or inspection.
deck should be on footers so it wouldnt move in freezing weather, and firmly affixed bolted to house
Add pictures here
✖

That was a couple stupid answers.
No they don't. Renmove the 8" block and replace it with a 4" one plus some PT lumber laid flat.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 04:08:42 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Build blocks out of treated lumber.
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 15, 2:08 am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Since no one else answered the question...
Yes, they build 6" block - should be available at any place sellign block but you may have to special order. I got mine from a 'block' place that sold nothing but concrete products. If you are going to lay them flat, they should be a coreless ones - those I don't know if they make.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 04:08:42 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Get a 4" block and a paver that will be a tad over 2"
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 15, 5:08 am, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

Ah, yeah... Why is your "deck" not properly secured to the ground ?
If it is resting on blocks then I can imagine several scenarios where it could "move" or "tip" on its own... Sounds very unsafe...
You should properly build your deck including securing it to posts which are firmly attached to the concrete pads (are these footings or just surface pads) for support and make sure since you are in a wintery area that the deck supports go down into the ground at least four feet to prevent heaving due to the ground freezing...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖

which echos my comment about lack of permit or inspections.
people have been hurt and even died when decks collapse.
Add pictures here
✖

He's got a small deck that's not even 3 feet off the ground. His problem isn't frost heave, it's the buildup of snow and ice on top of the deck in front of the door. Get a grip.
Add pictures here
✖

or tear the deck apart and rebuild it properly
Add pictures here
✖

Twit
Add pictures here
✖

oh yeah its far better to reshim every year, and someone said the decks 3 feet high.
if the deck that high has a problem with a elderly person on it, bad things can happen.....
besides at home sale time the deck will be a big issue, a buyer probably cant get homeowners insurance with such a hazard, no homeowners insurance no home sale:(
Add pictures here
✖

He never said that he has frost heave. He just said he needs to lower it a little because it is too high. He gave us no information that would suggest the quality of the construction is shoddy. The only thing we know is that it is not tied down to the ground. In many places that may be a code violation. No matter what the size of the deck it weighs hundred of pounds so it's not going to move just because it is sitting on blocks. For hundreds of years houses have been built just sitting on top of stoneor block. The tie down requirement is to keep it form going airborne in a tornado. Read the posts and don't make assumptions about things that are not said.
Add pictures here
✖

certinally building codes are only general advice on not based on law, safety, or anything else.
building codes are only to create troubles for homeowners. and home buyers at sales time....
by the way it might be easier to put a roof over at least part of the deck, so ice and snow cant accumulate
Add pictures here
✖

Building codes are generally a good idea and should be followed. If you are going to disregard one it is best if you fully understand the reason for the code and have rationalized why it is not an issue for you. If you are not sure then you should just follow the code. Not every part of the country requires tie downs on structures.
Add pictures here
✖

So why don't you tell him to tear down the house and rebuild it as a mansion?
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 06:27:24 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

As soon as I get a check from you for $47,569.99, I'll do just that....
When can I expect this check?
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 17, 8:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com wrote:

actually the cost to disassemble it and rebuild properly wouldnt be that much money.
new hardware mostly and add footers
Add pictures here
✖

LOL... Yeah too people who know what they are doing...
But to someone who doesn't... ROFL, well the lumber is *used* so that means they need to get new stuff so they can cut on it and hammer nails into fresh wood...
~~ Evan
Add pictures here
✖