Do they make 12Volt DC LED Bulbs

Page 1 of 2
They have made 12 volt incandescent bulbs for many years. They have the same base as a standard lightbulb, and fit the same sockets. They are used for campers with 12V lighting, and 12V trouble lights that clip on a car battery. Being incandescent, they drain a battery pretty fast. Thus LED would be much better.
We now can buy 120V AC LED bulbs that will fit any household socket. But do they make a similar bulb that uses LEDs, runs on 12V DC and screws into a standard socket?
On Apr 19, 3:58 am, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

Tail lights using LEDs are made for trailers and automobiles and have been for many years If you google " 12 V LED bulbs " you will find a number of sources for various styles and for various sockets.
On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 03:37:46 -0700 (PDT), Robert

E27 12 volt LEDs will be rather scarse - but GU10s are very common.
On 4/19/13 3:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

What is used in campers and RVs nowadays?

Terrible idea to have a 12 volt bulb with a standard screw-base socket so that it could be hit with 120 volts by some unsuspecting granny replacing a light bulb. Where were the electrical safety folks when that idea came along?
Anyone remember the flashbulbs that looked like standard light bulbs even including the standard screw base? I always thought that the lamp companies made them that way just so that practical jokers could screw them into table and floor lamps to scare the whatever out of people when they came into a room and turned on the light. Big blast of light and maybe even a small bang as the flash went off.
Tomsic
I ordered a code key cutting machine, years ago. It arrived with a 110 volt plug on it. I wrote the company, and said much of what you said. Never heard back. I met the company owner, at a trade show, years later and said the same thing. He seemed unconcerned. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
Terrible idea to have a 12 volt bulb with a standard screw-base socket so that it could be hit with 120 volts by some unsuspecting granny replacing a light bulb. Where were the electrical safety folks when that idea came along?
Anyone remember the flashbulbs that looked like standard light bulbs even including the standard screw base? I always thought that the lamp companies made them that way just so that practical jokers could screw them into table and floor lamps to scare the whatever out of people when they came into a room and turned on the light. Big blast of light and maybe even a small bang as the flash went off.
Tomsic
Oh, gosh, I'd take it right back to the store. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
My toaster has a 110V plug on it. Should I be concerned?
On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 10:38:26 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
What should it have had?

Bare wire end, or 12 volt auto lighter plug. . Christopher A. Young Learn more about Jesus www.lds.org . .
wrote: >I ordered a code key cutting machine, years ago. It arrived with a 110 volt
What should it have had?

On 4/19/2013 7:01 AM, = wrote:

Professional photographers used them in those big umbrella reflector setups they used years ago. I remember a crime drama on TV were the criminal was replacing the regular bulbs in table lamps with the flash bulbs in order to stun the victims of his crimes. I imagine a lot of kids and teenagers who saw the show wreaked havoc across the country after the show aired. ^_^
TDD

I dont remember the flashlights, but I do agree that those 12V bulbs should not have a standaerd screw base. They were made that way for trouble lights. I made an adaptor with 2 battery clips, wire and an outlet so I could use them on the car battery. I did accidentally plug one into an AC outlet once and fried the bulb instantly. Nothing spectacular, it just burned out. I always thought that they should not only make them require an adaptor, but also have some sort of markings on the bulb to easily identify it. (which they dont).

Would you say the same thing about the incandescent bulbs that have existed for decades, for indoor trailer lighting and 12v trouble lights?

On 4/19/2013 4:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

Just bought a bunch LED lamps for Malibu lights (12V) from an EBAY store like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/360619336943?item60619336943&viewitem=&sspagename ME:L:OU:US:3160&vxp=mtr These are like many small lamps used in cars and are 12 volts. They seem to be available in warm white and cool white.

I just looked at these. They're not all that many lumens, but I suppose using several of them would do the trick. But what does the base fit into? Would that be like the bi-pin sockets used for taillights or a dome light? Screw terminals that go right to wires, or what? The picture is not real helpful.
On Apr 19, 4:04 pm, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

the

re

.

a...

contact the source and ask?!
On 4/19/2013 4:58 AM, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q v+edison+base+led
On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 03:58:05 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@internet.com wrote:

I hate to join the Google-team, but this one is so easy 12V AC LED standard base.

I googled this and I noticed in one hit that many did not give a 110-volt-watt equivalence, like CFLs seem to do always.
Many that did were only 25 to 30 watts. Those that used twice the current didn't have a watt-equivalent value.
Some give milliamps, Most give lumens, but you'd have to look on lightbub boxes to see how many lumens for a 75 watt bulb.
On 4/20/2013 1:10 PM, micky wrote:

A generic incandescent bulb emits APPROXIMATELY 15 lumens per watt.

Well, here's the page I was looking at. http://www.ledlight.com/standard-led-light.aspx
My multiplicaiton skills are tired.