Do these exist: "Instant on" or very rapid start CFL???

Page 1 of 4
Is there such a thing as a true "instant start" CFL which produces full intensity brightness as soon as it is turned on? I am trying to find an indoor bulb which will not require any warm up period to attain full brightness.
I know that claims are made, but wonder if they are exaggerated or true. General Electric, for example, actually labels their bulbs as "instant on" but they are not 'instant'.
I also realize that colder temperatures prolong the ionization / warm up period, but my application is for indoor use at normal 70 degree F temperature.
Thanks for any advice.

Read the boxes, buy, and then return to store if the claims are not met,
On 6/6/2011 10:00 PM, hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Thanks. I've already done that. Now I am asking others to spare myself a lot of wasted time, gasoline, and frustration. Perhaps there are others who know the answer...........

That's helpful, not.
On 6/6/11 7:58 PM, Smarty wrote:

GE is supposed to be working on a hybrid CFL that would initially turn on a halogen bulb, then switch to the CFL after it warms up. It does not appear to be available yet.See their press release here: http://www.genewscenter.com/Press-Releases/GE-Unveils-Unique-Hybrid-Halogen-CFL-Light-Bulb-Coming-in-2011-2bf3.aspx
(Thanks to Wikipedia for info)
On 6/6/2011 10:28 PM, Reed wrote:

http://www.genewscenter.com/Press-Releases/GE-Unveils-Unique-Hybrid-Halogen-CFL-Light-Bulb-Coming-in-2011-2bf3.aspx

Thanks Reed !! What a SUPERB reply !!!
I did some further research based on your outstanding tip, and sure enough, the new GE hybrid bulbs are just now showing up in the retail stores with precisely what I am looking for.
Here is one of several other articles describing the roll-out of the new, very clever product:
http://pressroom.geconsumerproducts.com/pr/ge/three-bulbs-in-one-ge-s-hybrid-199673.aspx
Thank you VERY MUCH!
On 6/6/2011 10:57 PM, Smarty wrote:

http://pressroom.geconsumerproducts.com/pr/ge/three-bulbs-in-one-ge-s-hybrid-199673.aspx

Actual photos: http://www.genewscenter.com/Resource-Library/GE-Energy-Smart-Soft-White-and-Reveal-hybrid-halogen-CFL-bulbs-e90.aspx

I've read the rest of the thread and notice the hybrid GE bulb recommended to you. I'm just guessing that it's going to be pretty expensive so, why do you need such a quick "warm up"? FWIW I recently bought some 40 watt equivalent LEDs at Lowe's that accomplish everything you want, will last longer and give a nicer light than the CFL's I have. They were on sale for about $10 but they are available now (and don't have any mercury in them)
On Mon, 06 Jun 2011 20:54:22 -0700, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

LED's are very directional. They will not be substitutes for incandescent or CFL's in any but a few specialized and directional situations.
On 6/7/2011 1:56 AM, Michael Dobony wrote:

This could definitely become an issue. I need to research this further. Thanks for this important comment.

In a hallway, it just won't matter
If you get a bulb that's twice as bright then even if it takes a half- second to reach half-brightness you've met your requirements.
And if you can't find a bright enough bulb (you're already at 120 watt equivalent, let's say) then maybe there's room for a Y connector and two bulbs?

I have an LED bulb in a floor lamp and it spreads the light just like an incandescent bulb.
---MIKE---

>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Most situations are directional.
Greg

Thanks Mal,
The lighting is intended for a dark hallway and staircase being used by elderly people with limited eyesight.
The warm up time of so-called "instant" CFLs I have tried is several minutes, leaving the areas with insufficient light until the warm-up period elapses.
The bulbs I will be using are indeed expensive at $5.99 to $9.99 MSRP based on wattage. Perhaps LEDs would be better, if they can put out similar light output (approx 750 lumens), cost about the same, and last a lot longer.
Thanks for the suggestion and I will certainly check it out. The last time I looked, the LED bulbs were way more expensive, but it has been quite a while since I compared prices.

The thing that could solve this headache for all of us is for the industry to just get together and come up with some consistent metrics that they would all use. One of the most important would be the time to reach say 80% of full output. Otherwise, as you've noted, instant on can mean anything. I've had the same problems. Some do come on very fast, while others can take a long time.
And then there is the problem that for some applications CFL light is just unacceptable due to the quality of the light. I would not be surprised to see the laws changed when folks realize big govt is once again ramming crap down everyone's throats.

I leave some CFLsI just leave on all the time. I used to leave a hallway light on all the time. It didn't have anything to do with wait time, it was about having to turn it off.
I installed two ceiling lamps from THD and to my horror found it came with bayonet base, which cost more when replacing. This bathroom lamps need replaced, one come on red and takes forever to illuminate.
Greg
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Do-these-exist-Instant-on-or-very-rapid-start-CFL-637050-.htm DA wrote: Smarty wrote:

If the voltage between the electrodes is high enough (600V+), a fluorescent lamp will turn on instantly (or too quick to perceive brightness change, anyway). The regular ballasts don't generate such high voltage but I remember experimenting (20+ years ago) with diode/capacitor - based voltage boosters that were able to light a fluorescent lamp instantly. Neither ballast nor the started were needed.
A great side effect was that you could also light up a burned-out lamp, just as long as there's still vacuum in it. Most fluorescent lamps will go out because the filament would burn out, just like your regular incandescent lamp. But with this voltage booster I could (and did) literally pick a lamp from trash and reuse it again, which worked pretty well for my full-time student budget :)
Anyways, I'm in no way suggesting that it would be easy to hack a CFL, simply because the "C" in the name stands for "Compact" and that makes getting to the electrodes so much harder. All my experiments were on the older, tubular lamps with no space restrictions whatsoever. But I do believe that the voltage booster can be made into the space inside the socket. I remember it only needed two high voltage diodes, two high voltage capacitors and one resistor but don't quote me on that - it was 20+ years ago.
So, if you are up to it, understand the health and fire safety implications and have time and skills to do it, then the answer is: "yes, you can have an instant-on CFL" However, since I've never heard of these available commercially, you're probably going to have to make one yourself.
P.S. This is EXACTLY the kind of DIY project that can kill you because of both the high voltage and the direct coupling of the circuit to the mains, so don't say I did not warn that it should only be approached if you have the right skills.
------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV
On 6/6/2011 11:17 PM, DA wrote:

http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Do-these-exist-Instant-on-or-very-rapid-start-CFL-637050-.htm
The complaint is not how fast the lamps come on.
The issue is "period to attain full brightness". It takes a short time to vaporize all the mercury.
Continuing the tradition of useless advice from the homeownershub.
--
bud--

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Do-these-exist-Instant-on-or-very-rapid-start-CFL-637050-.htm DA wrote: bud-- wrote:

From zero to full brightness in a flash - that's how fast they come on when you start them with high voltage. Maybe not as fast as LED but for all practical purposes it can be described as instant.

In this case it does not. They essentially become cold-cathode fluorescent lamps - the type used to back-light your LCD monitor. I don't believe mercury vapors even plays any role - as far as I understand it the plasma starts (again, instantaneously) in the noble gas itself without any help from the electrons emitted by the filament. Indeed, like I said before, both filaments may even be bad - they'll still come on.

OK, by now I have your critique of my advice. But where's YOUR advice?