Do thermal fuses fail from old age?

Page 2 of 4
On 3/23/2012 7:46 AM, JW wrote:

Hatter isn't the only one to use them, they're actually common in Asia. Besides, Matty was loads of fun to screw with and watch him melt down. :-)
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Some just consider the source, and ignore you.

Maybe their thermal fuses opened?
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Some just consider the source, and ignore you.

N_Cook wrote:

I did too many fire restoration jobs after a pair of switches failed and people died. I see no humor in people dying from failed and jury rigged repairs. Laugh all you want. It fits you.

I repaired a furnace for one of my favorite customers, a little old lady about 90 who had her children and grandchildren staying with her and she had no heat. I found that water flooding the basement had shorted out the control board for her furnace but some moron had bypassed the roll-out safety switch on the furnace because another safety wasn't working. Needless to say, I had to replace a whole section of the wiring harness because the flames blew back from the burners destroying the wiring. It was a lucky break that the burned wiring shorted out killing the furnace or I fear the house would have caught fire with all those folks in there. I wish I could get my hands around the neck of the asshole who decided it was a good idea to bypass the safety switches on that furnace. o_O
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I used to subcontract electronic repair for a fire restoration company. Most of their jobs were to repair the buildings so the heirs could sell them. They wanted nothing to do with the place their parent or parents died. More than one death was caused by an incompetent repair. A thermal overload failed? No big deal: "he terminals on the wires will push together, so all I need is some tape and I'll charge the suckers a couple hundred dollars." :(

The Daring Dufas wrote:

Ever looked at "White Trash Repairs"? Some dangerous idiots on that site like the guy who blows up microwave ovens, or the one making fireworks in his house. :(
The losers who do some electrical work should have to live in the houses they wire.
I installed the computer networking, fire alarms and TV antenna systems at a new college campus years ago. The HVAC crew was the biggest idiot's I've ever had the misfortune to work around. The blueprints showed where every air handler was supposed to go, so that the ducting would have plenty of clearance. They not only set them in the wrong places, one was backwards, with their wiring hanging from the 20 foot ceilings. the gofer for the general contractor kept running around pulling the fire boxes while I was trying to test the prewire, until I caught him in the act. I followed him to his bosses office and read him the riot act. Then I promised to kick his sorry ass all the way across the campus if anyone pulled another box. he told me I couldn't do it, but his boss said that he would be a fool to try, and find out for sure. :)
When it was time for the state inspector & his punch list he said the system failed, because the glass break rods were missing. I told him they would be installed, but only after the building was accepted and that the weren't installed due to over 100 attempts to cause a false alarm.
That was the last time I did any sub work for that electrical contractor.

I will no longer tolerate sabotage or someone fooling around with my work on a construction project. I've decided the best thing to do is call the police and file a report along with a dollar value of the damage based on my highest hourly rate. I will definitely have one of perpetrators jailed on felony charges if the dollar amount is enough. The police reports come in handy for a lawsuit against a contractor with a "Screw You!" attitude.
I was doing some control work with an engineer friend of mine I had met when we worked on a construction project for The Star Wars "SDI" program back in the 80's and we were installing a large HVAC control system for a new school in the 90's and on that job, one of the young don't give a damn electricians decided to cut and pull our control wire out of a roof penetration conduit so he could use it. The conduit was 40' in the air and luckily one of the other electricians told us before the ceiling was installed. The kid's excuse for ripping out our wire was that it was in his way and when asked why he didn't tell us so we could handle the problem was the fact that we weren't there that day. I don't know if personal civilian Tasers were available at the time but I would have liked to have owned one. ^_^
P.S. Some day I'll have to tell you of my adventures the with the Halon fire suppression system I installed in Mission Control at the missile range. o_O
TDD
Reminds me of the one time I was helping extend some HVAC duct work. The other fellow had spent all day cutting a rectangle shaped hole in a cinderblock wall. We came back the next day, the cable TV installer had run a wire diagonally through our hard won duct hole. I suggested taking the wire out with diags.
I was doing some control work with an engineer friend of mine I had met when we worked on a construction project for The Star Wars "SDI" program back in the 80's and we were installing a large HVAC control system for a new school in the 90's and on that job, one of the young don't give a damn electricians decided to cut and pull our control wire out of a roof penetration conduit so he could use it. The conduit was 40' in the air and luckily one of the other electricians told us before the ceiling was installed. The kid's excuse for ripping out our wire was that it was in his way and when asked why he didn't tell us so we could handle the problem was the fact that we weren't there that day. I don't know if personal civilian Tasers were available at the time but I would have liked to have owned one. ^_^
TDD
On 3/24/2012 7:30 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

TDD - Please fix your newsreader so it indents the previous poster's contribution. It's very confusing when its all at the same indent level.
On 3/24/2012 1:30 PM, mjb wrote:

Actually, Stormin Mormin is the one with the broken newsreader.
I'd like to hear. I've learned a litle about these, but I'm sure your first hand experience will be interesting.
P.S. Some day I'll have to tell you of my adventures the with the Halon fire suppression system I installed in Mission Control at the missile range. o_O
TDD
I've seen some moments when people weren't working together. But sabotage? It's a shame that people make life dificult for each other, on purpose.
I will no longer tolerate sabotage or someone fooling around with my work on a construction project. I've decided the best thing to do is call the police and file a report along with a dollar value of the damage based on my highest hourly rate. I will definitely have one of perpetrators jailed on felony charges if the dollar amount is enough. The police reports come in handy for a lawsuit against a contractor with a "Screw You!" attitude.
TDD
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 22:36:09 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
<http://thereifixedit.failblog.org
"Infinite Energy 3.0" is wonderful. The creator went to a lot of trouble to set it up.
My job involves repairing machines with thermal fuses. does anyone make 20 amp or 30 amp rated ones?
the machines i repair have 15 amp thermal fuses on high inrush loads, and the fuses fatigue fail from being close to or at their current limit. the machines draw a instaneous 20 amps for a moment on start up
i would rather install a higher amp fuse, of the right temp, and save tons of time and gasoline replacing the same part over and over again.........

<http://www.thermodisc.com/uploads/specs/TCO.pdf G8 series goes to 25A.
Would it help to put two thermals, in parallel?
My job involves repairing machines with thermal fuses. does anyone make 20 amp or 30 amp rated ones?
the machines i repair have 15 amp thermal fuses on high inrush loads, and the fuses fatigue fail from being close to or at their current limit. the machines draw a instaneous 20 amps for a moment on start up
i would rather install a higher amp fuse, of the right temp, and save tons of time and gasoline replacing the same part over and over again.........
Well, Bob Haller said he had 15 amp thermals, and occasional 20 amp inrush. Why would that need to be "current split evenly"? Supposing they are carrying 15 amps and 5 amps. What's the problem?
If the thermals are properly placed, they would both melt open when the device overheated.
And suppose one thermal fails from old age? Then, Bob is back where he was when he started.
I don't see the big problem.
wrote:>Would it help to put two thermals, in parallel?
No. You could not guarantee that the current would split evenly between the two thermal fuses. A more serious problem is that it would require BOTH thermal fuses to blow in order to protect the appliance.
On Mar 25, 7:53am, "Stormin Mormon"

I have used thermal fuses in parell. But really dont like it as it would cause too many problems if a fire occured.
thanks for the link for the high current thermal fuses anything that decreases my gasoline expense is well worth it.........