Do people who hire others to work at companies care if the only way someone has earned money is by buying fixer-upper houses and repairing them?

My money is in my apartment. Only around 15 grand is left over from what I inherited. I wanted to buy into a franchise in the 1990s, I changed my mind coz the risk would be too high.

No thanks needed for what I am about to say after considering it for two days.
You have been a leach on the system for 17 years and now you want advice on how to continue and prosper.
Eat S*** and die would be my first opinion.
My most kind hearted advice would be to get and keep any job you can. You have an awful lot of catching up to do. Flip burgers for a year to get a basis if that is what you have to do. Move up when and where you can.
Colbyt
On 2/23/2011 7:12 AM, Chris Tsao wrote:

You can't get out what you haven't put in. It's that simple. File and pay as self employed... No matter how little you earn (down to $300, I believe) you have to file and pay SS on. Income tax is a different matter.
and therefore I was wondering whether or not when I start

Then, you were self employed. Just like having your own business.

Not that I know of. But competition for decent jobs is intense. Your track record won't impress them. Get a shitty job where you only need to pass a background check, or go back to being self employed. Certainly the skills need for the jobs you listed are different than repairing and flipping houses.
Jeff
Chris Tsao wrote:

I sure hope you are kidding. Your type is exactly why some of us have to do the work of two or three others.
In typed::: Chris Tsao wrote: ::: Hi, ::: ::: I haven't had a job in just under 17 years and I want to ::: build up enough of a work-history so when I'm in my 60's ::: I can collect social security and therefore I was ::: wondering whether or not when I start applying for jobs ::: and lie to potential employers by making them think that ::: I wasn't just taking it easy on account of how I used to ::: buy fixer-upper houses with a friend of mine whose an ::: electrician and that together we do repairs on the houses ::: and then sell them for a profit or would they consider ::: this a form of unemployment? ::: ::: In other words, will people who interview me for lab ::: technician or proofreader or bookkeeper jobs want me to ::: have been recently employed at a company or will they ::: consider someone who buys houses and busts their gut ::: fixing them up a hard enough worker for them? ::: ::: If my memory serves me, I read online somewhere that if ::: you lie and say that you worked at some company that went ::: out of business, that there is a way of verifying through ::: some kind of background check online that this isn't ::: true. Therefore I think that if someone who has been ::: unemployed for a while wants to be sure that they can ::: trick everyone into thinking that they are workers, the ::: person needs to make believe s/he is self-employed. ::: ::: Thank you in advance. :: :: I sure hope you are kidding. Your type is exactly why :: some of us have to do the work of two or three others.
"Flipping" houses is also against the law; you get reported and you'll likely find free food & shelter but it won't be very pleasant or extend to any other family members.

Oh. I'm curious why it's against the law, I will research it online some time in the next few days, if I can't find an answer I will come back in here to ask why.

http://www.houseflippingonline.com/illegal-house-flipping.html
Maybe I'm one of those people who think that if something interests me, it might others, but just in case I shall post a link to this article _What's illegal house flipping and what's not._
OK, just to get this trolling thread back on track ...
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:48:12 -0800 (PST), Chris Tsao

Where I am, it's not against the law -- but if you flip more than (I think) one house every two years, you are required to have a general contractor's license. It's not anti-flipping, it's pro-licensing. It's the same as building and selling houses without a license -- you can build one for yourself (either doing the work yourself or acting as the general contractor), and even sell it later, but if you do it regularly you are required to have the license.
Edward
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:00:09 -0500, Edward Reid

I imagine that's unenforceable if you live in the house that's being "flipped". The tax rules still apply, though.

Thank you, I will use this information on job interviews. I could say that flipping houses is one of two or three things that I've been doing.

It'd be interesting if your prospective employer(s) googled for you and found what you've been saying on this newsgroup.
Cindy Hamilton

Nonsense. ...unless you define "flipping" as mortgage fraud.