Do people who hire others to work at companies care if the only way someone has earned money is by buying fixer-upper houses and repairing them?

Hi,

I haven't had a job in just under 17 years and I want to build up enough of a work-history so when I'm in my 60's I can collect social security and therefore I was wondering whether or not when I start applying for jobs and lie to potential employers by making them think that I wasn't just taking it easy on account of how I used to buy fixer-upper houses with a friend of mine whose an electrician and that together we do repairs on the houses and then sell them for a profit or would they consider this a form of unemployment?

In other words, will people who interview me for lab technician or proofreader or bookkeeper jobs want me to have been recently employed at a company or will they consider someone who buys houses and busts their gut fixing them up a hard enough worker for them?

If my memory serves me, I read online somewhere that if you lie and say that you worked at some company that went out of business, that there is a way of verifying through some kind of background check online that this isn't true. Therefore I think that if someone who has been unemployed for a while wants to be sure that they can trick everyone into thinking that they are workers, the person needs to make believe s/he is self-employed.

Thank you in advance.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Did you make decent money at it? File your taxes? If you did then you have been paying social security. When you file taxes as self employed the process also collects the employer part of social security from you. That's why there is an extra form you have to do for self employment.

If you didn't file your taxes then you're in a bind now. And you have not earned any ss credits.

List your self as self employed and put down the annual income you made doing this.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I didn't ever buy a house and fix it up. This is a scheme I came up with in order to cover up the fact that I haven't made any money in 17 years so that no one who interviews me for a job will turn me down for the job with the logic that I wouldn't be a hard worker at the job because I would be too lazy to work. The reason I didn't work at jobs is because I didn't have any skills and so I was only qualified for lousy jobs and it's sometimes better to have no job than one that is rotten.

I was wondering whether or not someone who hires people to work at a business would think that an individual who buys fixer-upper houses in order to restore them and then sell them is not a bona fide enough worker for a standard type of job.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

As lies go it would be harder to check up on that one than a lie saying you had a regular job. How much other history on the grid do you have? Did you collect any sort of benefits during all this unemployment? What is your credit report going to look like? Some employers will run a credit report which may include job history. It's so cheap to do that now. You might want to go ahead and request those form thebig 3. It's free every 2 years.

It's probably going to be an uphill climb anyway. A lot of employment experts are saying if you have been unemplyeed for a while the market is not good for you. Most of the hiring right now likes to see that you have come straight from some other job.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

You can get a free credit report from each once a year.

RicodJour

I never met anyone who didn't have some kind of a skill and I don't believe that you didn't or don't have one.

Reply to
Molly Brown

I tried to figure out how much time I've spent working. I counted differently the two times I counted and was off by two months. Once I counted 4 years and 11 months, the other time 4 years and 9 months. I don't remember whether this includes summer messenger jobs that I had when I was a teenager--both a minor and an adult teen. Maybe employers run credit checks behind the backs of people they're planning to hire?

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Potential employers will have 50, 100, or 1000 resumes from people who have verifiable work experience in exactly the position they're trying to fill. I doubt your resume will end up anywhere but the bitbucket.

Sorry.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I went to bookkeeping school in 1999 and in 2000, but I didn't study any more after taking the classes and I took a proofreading class which was only a two-day class. I've been taken care of by my family my whole life. I have no get-up-and go, and I am lazy, but I will work hard for once and for all when the times I am ready to go back to work.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

I tried to find out what the minimum amount of social security a two- bit loser would get upon turning 62. I was on the payroll at my father's company for about three years, but I worked a little when I was, the thought of having to work at a job that sucks goat in order to earn social security points is weighing on me like a ton of bricks. They're going to make getting a GED even harder by making the science harder. Now in order to pass the science part, one can just find the info on the test booklet, so it's basically nothing more than "reading comprehension." In the near future, people will have to know the information in their heads. Life just gets harder and harder. They made the math part harder by changing it so it's college entry math. In the soon-to-be future, the GED is going to be a college entry exam. :-(

Reply to
Chris Tsao

get a fast food or retail job to get some work time

or if you have done home repairs all along get a legit job in that area, your experience will count for something.

although know lindsey graham head of republican party is calling for a

1/3rd cut in social security and raising the age to collect to 70 for anyone 55 or less, plus means testing.....

on the brite side you will have longer to qualify

Reply to
hallerb

I'd say get out and do any work and start establishing a track record. I'm surprised your family let you sponge off them so long. Your skills are probably verbal so I would look for something office related. Maybe even start in the mail room and work up. Money is not important at this time.

Reply to
Frank

Go get a government job. You are their kind of guy.

Reply to
gfretwell

Quit lying to yourself and everyone else. You can't game the system. Your best hope is to get into the military and let them take care of you. Don't bother with the Marine Corps, you don't have enough cojones for it. The Navy might use you for a galley helper, but the regular Army has a lot of low skilled needs you might be able to master in time, if you can stay out of trouble. Or sign some election papers and maybe get elected to Congress. You know which Party best suits you and there would be no SS involved since Congress has their own Cadillac plan.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Don't tell me, let me guess. You voted for that idiot in the White House didn't you?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Or you can marry someone, and stay married for over ten years, and collect SS based on her contributions.

Reply to
HeyBub

This is important to know.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

I'd apply for either an entry-level job as a lab technician after going through a training program or an unskilled job. I'm listening to a Thom Hartmann radio commercial as I'm typing, I copied and pasted the link to it on the YouTubes last week, I'm going to be 46 in two weeks, so no one will hire me. I'll post the link in a second after hitting the Send button.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

Never mind the right-wing header, the message is gloomy. I played it for a friend of mine who turned 46, no one will hire her to work at a business because of her age. She can't get a job as a nanny and enough baby sitting gigs to pay her bills because companies do background checks on her and find out that she was locked up in nuthouses FIVE whole times, was arrested for shoplifting and committed a biased crime.

Reply to
Chris Tsao

I was too lazy to finish wording my sentence, so I deluded myself I did. Thom Hartmann uses this one particular soundbite as a commercial for his radio show

I copied and pasted

I was too lazy to concentrate on my sentence, so I deluded myself that I did. I meant to say that I posted the link from YouTube in another group a few days ago.

This is a very depressing soundbite from The Thom Hartmann Show.

Reply to
Chris Tsao