Do ozone generators really kill mold spores?

Page 1 of 2  

Do they need to be particular size/intensity to work? Also is there some kind of test kit that you can buy to test for mold?
Thanks!
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bird snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Probably. Won't hurt to try. As you probably know, Ozone generators are used to rid a space of smells from dead things and very dead things. A true electrostatic generator inside an A/C return produces Ozone.
Ozone degrades into Oxygen fairly quickly (in minutes).
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Jul 8, 3:49 pm, bird snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

Google up Negative Health effects of Ozone and you will find alot of studies that show you dont want to be around added ozone. Several gov bodys have Ozone exposure limits that are specific in amount and time of exposure. Most simply it oxidises your lungs and the effects can easily be noticed by people with lung issues. For a vacant place its ok but not for where you will live and breath it. Laundry bleach kills mold, but you have to stop the leaks and conditions that are allowing it to grow in the first place. It seems like you have mold, but you are taking no action to correct the defects that are making mold a problem. Even with a ozone generator, it may kill it now, but it will come right back until you fix the problems
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
ransley wrote:

This is pretty much my understanding of it as well. Mold abatement isn't accomplished by plugging in an appliance.
There is also the degradation of certain items from the oxidative ozone molecule, which can release a plethora of toxic compounds into your living space, and cause odors.
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

The unit is plugged in and the house is left unoccupied for a couple of days. Upon return the unit is turned off and the house is aired out for a couple of hours. Maximum exposure time to the ozone is maybe two minutes. It's completely harmless if used properly.
It does kill all of the mold, but the underlying cause still needs to be addressed.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No its not harmless 03 is an oxidant, many things oxidise, tire rot for example is oxidation. You are thinking ozone generator sales pitch, not what ozone does.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
ransley wrote:

Yep. He's also completely ignoring that an Ozone generator requires a pure source of oxygen, while what is commonly sold as an ozone generator produces mainly NOx gasses that degrade a wide variety of synthetic materials.
Jon
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Erroneous presupposition.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That it is. That's why it kills mold. I never stated that zero prep was involved, only that the device is effective.
What is your solution? Rip everything out and douse with chemicals?
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Stopping all leaks and keeping humidity under 70% has worked for me, if its in ductwork, it shouldnt be and there is a special light system that can be used, I think its a UV system. But if its in ducts the system isnt working as a properly designed and maintained system should. Often a basement dehumidifier can fix all issues and new energy star units are efficent mine costs about 4-6$ a month to run.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Jul 8, 8:02 pm, "Jon Danniken"

Thanks for the responses so far. This is the situation. Our ductwork and central unit got flooded. We are going to replace everything. However, we were told by one duct cleaning company that he saw mold. So we of course got a little freaked out. Like I said we have since decided to replace everything, but I am wondering how we can tell if there is mold in the air and if so how can you get rid of it?
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 08:37:56 -0700 (PDT), bird snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote Re Re: Do ozone generators really kill mold spores?:

As well you should.
--
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Provided it is th truth and not just a ploy for more business?
We have had tremendous fuss here about closing down schools/sending students home etc. because of mould etc. It seems, IMO to have followed all the super insulation and other energy saving techniques of the last 30 years. And to boil down to stupid things like windows that don't open, insufficient ventilation while several hundred active children and staff are inside the building for some 7 hour per day etc. Also improper understanding about vapour barriers etc. All things that can be overcome/controlled by common sense procedures. An allied concern throughout parts of NA was/is Legionnaires Disease, unclean AC systems containing and maintaining disease spores and seniors/veterans being more susceptible in later life. Cheers.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On 7/11/2010 7:13 AM, terry wrote:

The law of unintended results?
TDD
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
, but I am wondering how we can tell if

A testing laboratory is the best solution for this. They will set up a tripod in a suspect area and place a small unit with an air pump and filter on it. The air pump sucks in a precisely measured amount of air over a period of time, pulling it through the new, sterile filter. The filter is then removed and sent to the laboratory to be tested for the amount and type of spores found. You'll get back a letter giving you a clean bill of health or a letter telling you the problem and its intensity.
Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I have one I purchased from a Canadian manufacturer. It produces 5 GRAMS per hour and is a commercial-type unit. Unlike some folk, I really like it, but use it sparingly. For instance, in a past home, I had it controlled with a timer to come on 3 days or so before we planned to return from a trip. I had it run for 24 hours and then let the ozone degrade for the 2 days before we walked in the door. If there was any odor at that point, opening windows for a few minutes took care of it, and the house would then have a fresh scent. I never noticed any degraded items in the house and certainly never breathed the ozonated air inside the house when the unit had been run.
The units are used frequently here in Las Vegas at casinos and restaurants to clean up the air from smokers. I've also seen them used for brief periods in hotel rooms or aboard ships where someone has sneaked a cigarette in the room or cabin, or following carpet cleaning, with its musty smell.
Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Nonny wrote:

Can you share where you got it and what model?
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Glad to. http://www.ozone.ca/products/home.html and it's the Pro 5000. It uses 5 mica plates and seems to be well built. I once needed to replace a mica plate and emailed the company. They only sold them in sets, but the person at the company said he'd send me just one- and it would be free. I told him I appreciated it, but that I didn't want him to get into any trouble over it. He replied that since he OWNED the company, it would be OK, and thanked me for my concern. <grin>
Nonny
--
On most days,
it’s just not worth
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

That's the way to do it, if you're going to do it.
Ozone does kill mold spores, but it does not penetrate deeply. Mold growing in carpeting won't be killed. If someone can come up with a way to kill mold simply and safely without resorting to bleach, scrubbing and a lot of labor, there won't be a bank big enough to hold all of the money.
R
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I agree. I like the Ozone generator to freshen up the house's smell. We're in the process of locating a 1-story home to replace our present 2-story one here. When we close on a new one, it's going to get several days of Ozone before we even start moving stuff in, and perhaps another day of it after the move, but before we occupy the place. I also have used mine in the bathroom- first running the hot shower for a few minutes, then giving it an hour or two of ozone to kill smells and mold. It also works well in the auto overnight.
Nonny
--
On most days,
it's just not worth
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
βœ–
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.