Do old stoves have any $ value?

I have an old Kenmore electric stove c. 1940s, early 50s. The thing looks cool and is built like a tank - white porcelain, double oven, griddle. It works great, aside from one of the elements needing a rewiring. Is there a market for an old stove like this? We're remodeling the kitchen and the thing is too big and my wife wants a modern stove.

Thanks for any insights.

Reply to
Crabshell

Crabshell wrote in news:Xns9A3095AE8A46Acrabshell@216.196.97.131:

Absolutely! And frigs too!

Clip from the Red Green Show:

(for those who have never seen this show that I steal my handle from, here's some insight)

Red...

Reply to
Red Green

There is a market for most old things, and kitchen stoves are no exception. A friend asked me to help find a home for a stove in a house he'd bought and was remodeling. He got $700 for it, so not bad. Google on 'vintage stove' and you'll find plenty of information, and an idea of what's valuable. Here's one site I just found, but I got 132,000 hits. This place has a 1952 stove listed for over 5K.

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Keith

Hadn't seen that particular skit.

I really like the Red Green show.

Our local PBS outlet (KOPB - Portland, OR) used to carry it, but stopped about 3 years ago.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

jJim McLaughlin wrote in news:CNSdnbkR7LaozwfanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I'm picking it up in VT on PBS cable. When I was in NC just a bit back, they didn't carry it.

Red...

Reply to
Red Green

I'll bet there is.......we had the gas version of same stove. My folks' Kenmore was replacement for old green/cream gas range on tall legs. Heck, I'd like to have either one of them now! The Kenmore had two ovens.....I think the broiler was in one drawer below oven, and other drawer was for storage? Five burners, one in center was with griddle. I think the Kenmore came just after the Philco fridge that replaced our ice box. The Philco was still in use about three years ago, with the door duct-taped to keep it closed :o)

People are going crazy for fifties' crap - can anyone remember chartreuse "frisbee" stuff? Ick!!!!!

Reply to
Norminn

Maybe. Try selling it on a local (swap-trade) radio program. Depending on demand you may get $50 or let someone take it away for free.

Reply to
Phisherman

Advertise it on the local craigslist - under collectibles.

Just need the right buyer... Oren

--

Reply to
Oren

Bet she wants shoes too

Reply to
TH

If you don't need a new recliner, go to

scroll down to "Solarbotics Oven Timer Unit Modification".

The little gearbox in the electromechanical oven clock just needs a pager motor with the eccentric weight removed. Then the low voltage motor produces a lot of torque.

The other pages on that website have plans for several mini solar robots you can make with it. They will take up less room than the oven in your basement. Kids like them better too.

Only thing is, I haven't seen that type of gearbox in pre-1960 ovens, but I've only looked into a few ovens that old.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Tell her the old stove wants a new wife. Cheaper. And there's other perks.

T.E. Stosterone

Reply to
Thomas Edward Stosterone

Thought I wanted a vintage stove in good shape until I Googled and found out what they were going for. There's big bucks in some of them.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

BULLSHIT! Don't sell it for a dime until you find out what it's worth. You might be selling a thousand dollar stove for fifty bucks. If you do find out it's worth fifty bucks, it's better to know BEFORE you sell it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks, that was funny. Bob-tx