Do oil furnace fireboxes and chimneys get creosote?

Page 2 of 2
?

When the SAT TV guy was here late in the day I asked him what they do when it get dark and have to go on the roof. He said they use a flashlight, but keep on working.

I'm sure he does then.
It's conceivable that the guy I had woudl have, but I do't think so. :)

I had the top of my chimmney replaced from just below the roofline up when I had my roof replaced due to loose bricks and crappy flashing and my chimmney was fine...Never been cleaned since 1966..I suspect they are feeding you a line of BS...I have NEVER heard of cleaning a chimmney with just an oil furnace or boiler on it...Just wood burning chimmneys twice a year...HTH....

Yes it does help. Your story and the other similar one.
This accounts for why the first chimney sweep for the fireplace didn't even suggest that he clean the furnace chimney. I've wondered about that.
Still, in light of that bad year when I had all that soot in the stove pipe, I think I should do it this once. It's only 125 or 170.
I also read that if there is no chimney cap, as there wasn't for a couple months many years ago, the rain can get in and make sulfuric acid out of the sulfer in the soot, but otoh this seemed to be mostly about factory chimneys where they burned grade 6 oil. Grades 1 and 2, used in homes, weren't mentioned as having much sulfur, but maybe that is because the furnaces are smaller.
The first woman on the phone said that they could tell how much dirt came out, but when the guys got here, they said yes for the fireplace and no for the furnace. I said can't you just see how full the bag in the vacuum is, but they didn't reply. So I may never know if it needed it or not. And really, that's as important to me as getting it cleaned is. I'm curious -- that's first, and I want to know if I wasted my money, and if I hadnt' heard from you, I'd want to know if I should do it again.

Do you think soot sticks work in the firebox itself? I've seen furnace guys throw them in. One guy even used two, one after another. iirc.
I think that was at the end of their vacuuming the box, so that after they got everything they could that way, they burned off as much as they could.

responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/Do-oil-furnace-fireboxes-and-chimneys-get-creosote-613495-.htm jimn wrote: No. They don't. They will produce soot but even this should not be an issue if you have your oil burner regularly maintained by a pro with the proper instruments to adjust the combustion appropriately. I live in a house built in 1960 with an oil fired boiler. My family has always lived in houses with oil fired heating equipment. I don;t remember any of use ever having an oil burner flue cleaned. The smoke pipe from the furnace or boiler to the chimney should be cleaned and inspected as part of your annual tune up. Chimney should be inspected every few years to make sure the liner and brick are solid, but I see no reason to clean it. If your burner isn't adjusted correctly then you could have a soot problem, but I would have a burner tech evaluate this, not a chimney cleaning company. mm wrote: