do not shop home depot

Page 1 of 6

I went to home depot on 1/23/2007 and purchased a Maytag Washing Machine.When I got home my old Maytag started to work again. I went back and cancelled the order. On 2/9/2007 it died so I went back to Home Depot. I had them look up my purchase and they reissued the the Item.
Today 2/13-2007 it was received but little did I notice that they substituted with a different model that they assure me is the same.
It is not the same and has no delicate wash plus a multitude of other amenities.
I went back to the store and was told since I did not refuse it on delivery it now is not returnable.
Their manager said to be basically tough luck I called corporate and was told basically buyer beware or Home Depot will screw you.
Never again Home depot
You have got to be telling the story wrong; if you charged it, stop payment. If you paid cash, take them to small claims court. It is such an easy win that they wouldn't think of screwing you like that; so I conclude you must be telling the story wrong.

I agree if you used your credit card file a dispute with your credit card company.
Just dial the 800 number on the back of your card, tell them your problem and they will send you the paperwork to file a dispute.
And while this is in the process they will withhold payment until the dispute is settled.
I've done this before it really gets their attention.
Something's missing here. I work for HD and I can tell you for a fact that they would NEVER stiff a customer over something like this. In fact, they are SO amenable they get ripped off by customers in ways I never would've imagined.
The policy is 30 day return with receipt, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. PERIOD.
Even special orders are returnable but there is a 15% restocking charge.
This guy is lying thru his teeth.

I am telling the correct story I purchased it on their credit card I went back to the store
I was told It should have been refused on delivery I have all paper work
I am going to go to small claims I could not get the full name of the ast manager The manager is on vacation
I bought a pallet of patio brick at home depot that was discounted because the person that had ordered it before had changed their mind. It had mostly concrete color brick with some black bricks on top. I specifically asked the salesman if the price was for the whole pallet. He said he thought it was for the white brick only but went to check, and came back and told me that he could give me all the brick on the pallet for that price. We processed the deal and they delivered the brick, and low and behold, the black brick were missing. I called and complained and had to really be persistent to get some of the black brick that were on the pallet, although I never got exactly what was on the pallet. When they DID agree to give me at least SOME of the black brick, they wanted ME to come pick them up. Again, I had to go round and round with them about getting it delivered. Home Depot has some of the WORST customer service and customer care I've ever seen. Brian

perhaps they were less than charitable based on your on again off again ordering status. maybe they would have been more willing to work with you if you hadn't had the previous history...?
Dave

When I had my reno business I learned that companies substituting was bad news when I had a customer of my own to please. I started writing NO SUBSTITUTIONS on the orders and I still do.

Bill snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Somehow I think there is more to this story. What model number is called out on the order and what is the model number actually received? Did you use it before telling them you wanted to send it back? Besides the lacking delicate cycle, what are all the other "multitude" of features that are different?
I've always had no problems when dealing with HD. Last year I special ordered a $450 Kohler cast iron kitchen sink. After getting it home and actually setting it in the opening, I noticed small spider web like cracks in one corner. It seemed it could have been from maybe cooling too rapidly after baking, or similar. Didn't look like a chip, but I was still worried that HD might say I damaged it. Just took it back and they took care of it, no questions, no problems, they just ordered up another one.
If they sent a model that is different than the one you bought, then I'm amazed they would even argue it.

On 13 Feb 2007 12:45:55 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

The way I see he placed the order then canceled it only later to renew it. In the mean time Home Depot had probably switched to a different model of machine. It was his fault to not ask if the model was still available at the time he renewed the order.

Bill snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

It's not up to HD to decide to switch models on a buyer and send something else. If he ordered one model and they wanted to sub something else when he replaced the order they have to ask if a different model is acceptable.

On 13 Feb 2007 13:21:50 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

They don't do that. They don't put things on hold. If the order arrives at the warehouse and the stock is gone they sub with the replacement, if them deem it equal or better.. To delay the order waiting for the customer to ok the sub would piss off more customers than it would please.
On Feb 13, 4:29 pm, Bill snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

Well excuse me. It would require all of a few mins to look up the customers number and ask them if the sub is acceptable. How about you order a Merceies S500 and the dealer decides to sub a S400, because they don't make the 500 and now only make the 400? Would that be OK, or would you want a few bucks back?
If the order arrives at the

Well, in this case the OP is claiming the sub doesn't have a delicate cycle and a multitude of other features. Even if it doesn;t have just the delicate cycle, it sure sounds like the Benz with the smaller engine. And that's acceptable to you? Who the hell is HD to decide to that the OP doesn't need or want the delicate cycle? If these facts are as stated, HD will lose in small claims in a nano sec.

On 13 Feb 2007 17:09:16 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Nonsense. In this day and age even catching a customer at home is difficult and leaving callback messages is a huge PITA for stores.
Most customers would want to see the new machine first. Retail stores NEVER phone about subs. These decisions are based on psychology. Customers are far less likely to reject a sub once it's on their doorstep.

Only if you don't have a cell phone and don't have an answering machine or voice mail. That pretty much rules out everybody with the ability to afford a new washing machine.

Call backs FROM customers are a HUGE pain in the ass. If you had ever worked for a huge business you would understand why. Staff don't work 24/7.

Oh puleeze. Just mention your hours of operation and give a phone number when you leave the message. You don't have to work 24x7 in order to make it possible for a return call.
This isn't rocket science.

So another 3 day delay waiting for the staff member to return from days off. Then you expect the staffer to wait for the call AT their computer so they can call up the customers order. If they miss the return call they get yet another opportunity to leave ANOTHER message on the customers answering machine. It's called phone tag and it costs big companies MILLIONS. They hate it. That why they have a substitution policy...:) It's up to the customer to educate themselves about the companies they wish to deal with. At the very least educate yourself about their RETURNS policies.

Then don't deliver the substitution. There are disadvantages with telling the customer you have product you haven't got.

I notice you sniped the most relevant part of my post so you could make this silly post. If you dislike a companies policies DON"T shop there. It's up to YOU, the customer, to educate yourself about those policies.