Do Not Purchase Eset NOD32 Antivirus Software

I had purchased this software, and I found it to be useable, but quite uneq= ual to many of the other antivirus programs out there. Furthermore, a renew= al, unlike a new purchase, cost $80. So I decided to get another antivirus = program. Eset does not turn off, cannot be uninstalled via the control pane= l, and can not be deleted. The only way to remove the program is to downloa= d the Eset uninstaller from the Eset website, go through two separate resta= rts, and risk damaging your computer. Had the product simply been unsatisfy= ing, I wouldn't have said anything about it. But since the product is so di= fficult to remove, takes up so much disk space, slows down my computer, and= constantly pops up with warnings that I have not renewed my license, I hav= e decided that these difficulties must be a deliberate attempt to keep some= one from changing to a new program. Do not buy this product, for it is terr= ible.

Reply to
thewoofer

AV software? How quaint.

Try going here:

and permanently solve your AV issues.

Reply to
Dan Espen

It only solves the problem to the extent that no one is focusing on writing viruses for Fedora because the small number of users makes focusing on other OS's more productive.

Reply to
trader4

to many of the other antivirus programs out there. Furthermore, a renewal, unlike a new purchase, cost $80. So I decided to get another antivirus program. Eset does not turn off, cannot be uninstalled via the control panel, and can not be deleted. The only way to remove the program is to download the Eset uninstaller from the Eset website, go through two separate restarts, and risk damaging your computer. Had the product simply been unsatisfying, I wouldn't have said anything about it. But since the product is so difficult to remove, takes up so much disk space, slows down my computer, and constantly pops up with warnings that I have not renewed my license, I have decided that these difficulties must be a deliberate attempt to keep someone from changing to a new program. Do not buy this product, for it is terrible.

I've been using windows defender for along time now. Doesn't slow the computer and updates automatically for free.

Reply to
gonjah

I have been using NOD32 for the last 7 or 8 years on all Windows computers I have left and cannot voice any complaint whatsoever. In fact, unlike other AV programs, I find it very light on resources which is a very good thing in Windows. As far as un-installing, all AV programs make it hard because a virus would attempt the same thing, and if you wanted to see a really hard-to-uninstall AV software, you should try Norton.

If I remember it correctly, $80 was the price for 2-year renewal, so it's technically "only" $40 per year (discounted, last time it was $55/year if you renew for 1 year only). And anyhow, everyone charges for renewals these days (I have no direct experience with free AV software though - not sure what their virus signature update policies are).

Reply to
DA

You might try using Revo Uninstaller (free) to help in purging your system of this beast.

As for a replacement AV program, there are many good ones out there. I use Microsoft Security Essentials (also free) which, in any review, always ranks in the top 5. My reasoning is that Microsoft should certainly know about the internals of its own operating system thereby avoiding some of the the issues you're experiencing.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:2oCdnRSOm9yrjUPNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I've found that it all depends on what your computer likes. I had Eset and all of a sudden that wasn't working correctly. I purchased Avast and the stupid thing blocked me from getting online. Now I have the Vipre suite.

Reply to
frag

I agee for the same reasons. Microsoft Security Essentials and Firewall have worked for me now for the last few years in spite of several attempted virus attacks. MSE reports those so you know what happens. It also has relatively gentle reminders about doing updates and scans.

Tomsic

Reply to
.-.

"HeyBub" wrote

As someone who makes a fulltime career in tech support, I agree with both your choice of Revo to uninstall and MSE as a replacement AV program.

Reply to
David Kaye

Usually I don't like to prove a point by an "appeal to authority," but I, like you, make a living with computers. I own a small software company that specializes in inventory control. We've got over 600 users - here in the US and some exotic places (Azerbijan, Sierre Leon, French West Indies, and even Mexico!).

Most, if not all, use MSE based on our recommendation.

Possibly because it's free.

Reply to
HeyBub

equal to many of the other antivirus programs out there. Furthermore, a ren ewal, unlike a new purchase, cost $80. So I decided to get another antiviru s program. Eset does not turn off, cannot be uninstalled via the control pa nel, and can not be deleted. The only way to remove the program is to downl oad the Eset uninstaller from the Eset website, go through two separate res tarts, and risk damaging your computer. Had the product simply been unsatis fying, I wouldn't have said anything about it. But since the product is so difficult to remove, takes up so much disk space, slows down my computer, a nd constantly pops up with warnings that I have not renewed my license, I h ave decided that these difficulties must be a deliberate attempt to keep so meone from changing to a new program. Do not buy this product, for it is te rrible.

Sure, you found this AV software as unusable. That happens, and it happens with different AV software, for many people, on various systems. Many antiv irus software companies do charge for renewal, including, ESET, Avira, Kasp ersky, AVG, doesn't end there.

ESET does provide an uninstaller for their security software to remove it, as does, Avira, Avast!, AVG, Symantec, others too. This is not a show stopp er these days. By the way the risk in damaging your computer do so ranges i s the very, very unlucky side of luck.

It doesn't take up much disc space at all, unless you still have a PC with a 120 Megabyte HD.

When it comes to license renewal time they all show pop-ups for renewal.

This products ranks well at AV-Comparitves.

You do have a valid point, with your experience, that you found the product unsuable. Many other points you make are common with other well known, cre dible AV solutions.

Reply to
cods.wallopp

equal to many of the other antivirus programs out there. Furthermore, a ren ewal, unlike a new purchase, cost $80. So I decided to get another antiviru s program. Eset does not turn off, cannot be uninstalled via the control pa nel, and can not be deleted. The only way to remove the program is to downl oad the Eset uninstaller from the Eset website, go through two separate res tarts, and risk damaging your computer. Had the product simply been unsatis fying, I wouldn't have said anything about it. But since the product is so difficult to remove, takes up so much disk space, slows down my computer, a nd constantly pops up with warnings that I have not renewed my license, I h ave decided that these difficulties must be a deliberate attempt to keep so meone from changing to a new program. Do not buy this product, for it is te rrible.

I'm no expert but at this point (HS cable)...I use a hardware firewall,W7 F irewall,MSE,MalwareBytes pro.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

And the reason is ...

If an AV product were EASY to remove, the potential virus could simply remove, or disarm, the AV product before installing its own nastiness.

Reply to
HeyBub

Eset NOD 32 costs $59.95 for a two-year subscription for two computers. Eset can be disabled, and in fact, has a screen to facilitate it. Eset comes with an uninstaller. Revo can also uninstall it. Eset is actually very light as a virus scanner. Has many options to make it yet lighter, but the problem is that there is then less protection.

I can't imagine what version of this program you are writing about: it sounds years old. Eset has made many improvements over the years. I've used it for about 4 years and wouldn't use anything else.

Reply to
artemisia666.b

What's amazing is that people are actually purchasing any anti-virus software at all for personal use. AVG, Avast, and Microsoft Security Essentials are all available at no cost. For malware, there is the free version of Malwarebytes which is excellent. Especially avoid Norton and McAfee at all costs.

What I did purchase for some relatives is the paid version of Malwarebytes because it has a couple of useful features that the free version lacks, like being able to schedule scans, and real-time protection--I know that they would never manually run scans. It's $12.99 for a lifetime subscription (when it's on sale). IT does find things that the anti-virus software misses.

Reply to
sms

Can't disagree with the conclusions or recommendations. But, bitching about how hard it is to remove, when they give you a utility to do so, is a bit much. Would you really want protection that could be removed by the thing it's protecting you against?

Reply to
mike

i agree!!!!!!!!!

Reply to