Do not like my home A/C control box

I have a wall mounted A/C control box. It has a few whizbang programming/scheduling features, which we do not use. We just set temperature, because someone is always home anyway.
This control has two AA batteries inside and when the batteries run out of juice, it just dies.
To me, this is very bad, since if it happens when we go on vacation, in winter, the house is going to freeze, resulting in expensive damage.
I am really livid that someone could design a control like this, actually.
In any case, I am looking for a replacement that is designed for reliability, and not for selling to suckers.
Any suggestions? I am personally totally open to the old style round controls that just have a temp dial and heat/cool switch. I would further prefer something that is smart enough not to need a heat/cool switch and would maintain temp inside a band.

Just for fun, let's call it a thermostat.
Calm down, lower your "lividity" and get over the fact that you aren't in love with it.
The "low battery" indicator comes on about 10 days before the batteries actually die, so it isn't that big a deal. Many Honeywell models are "power stealing" where the batteries are just there to hold the programming, and the power from the wires going to the furnace provides power to run the electronics. Batteries in these last for several years.
Round thermostats are still available and widely used. Your local hardware store can help, or you can continue to rant about it on the internet.
Happy Holidays!
JK

Thanks. Regarding 10 day warning, I have to admit that I do not check it that often. I have looked at thermostats on various websites and it seems that many thermostats are of "dual power" type, which means battery plus wire power is used. I think that I will look for one of those.
Ignoramus2318 wrote:

Ignoramus;
If you find that you do not have enough wires to provide power to an electronic thermostat [why the batteries], you can try asking your HVAC technition about a product called "add a wire" by Totaline. Not somthing you can find at HD Store. But it might be an answer to your limited wiring [if running a new cable is not in the future.]
--
Zyp

I dont trust our whiz bang thermostat either so I added a cheap simple regular thermost in the basement. Leave it set at minimum temp 50 degrees......
If whiz bang flakes out the backup in the basement will keep things from freezing.
although its a good idea to yearly replace all batteries, smoke detectors, thermostat, emergency flashlights etc.
do it every spring when time change is spring forward

If it had been done right in the first place, it wouldn't be an issue. There are now Honeywell controls with *all* of the bells and whistles that only need 3 wires to connect the head unit on the wall to the actual control box at the furnace or air handler. The only thing is that its only available through your local dealer.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Many battery operated thermostats have an emergency lock on at 55F When the battery gets so low it can no longer display the LO battery signal that it has been displaying for 2 months. Also some thermostats will sound a peep from time to time to attract your attention to the lo battery display. Another old fashioned alternative is to keep your woman at home! She will bitch and nag constantly if it gets too cold or too hot. In fact she will gladly provide this service just at the thought of having to stay home. ;-) Ummm.. I think the W/R 9400 cheapo does all of the above..

I also was going to mention the fact that many electronic models have a failsafe mode where a mechanical switch closes for heat at 45 or so. I'd also wonder why anyone would be so annoyed at having to change the batteries. Perhaps the unit in question uses too much power compared to the typical electronic thermostat today? The batteries in mine can last for several years and give weeks, if not months worth of warning to replace.
In any case, if all that is wanted is a mechanical, they are still available.

I also was going to mention the fact that many electronic models have a failsafe mode where a mechanical switch closes for heat at 45 or so. I'd also wonder why anyone would be so annoyed at having to change the batteries. Perhaps the unit in question uses too much power compared to the typical electronic thermostat today? The batteries in mine can last for several years and give weeks, if not months worth of warning to replace.
In any case, if all that is wanted is a mechanical, they are still available.
Other option!
Move house.
Don Ocean posted for all of us...

What keeps da wimmin at home? Dang i don't want that! I want all of em out workin da streets wear day belong. -- Tekkie Don't bother to thank me, I do this as a public service.
I have a bunch of mercury bulb thermostats in about every shape, brand etc. being the packrat I am. I have at least one that can be set to a heating and cooling temp separately and will switch automatically. If you are really serious and want one, it is yours. There are also digitals that do not require batteries. What type of system you got? Heatpump, gas or oil heat with a/c or what. Reply in here first-- my Email is full and I need to weed out some so I can receive mail Larry
On Dec 24, 7:32pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (lp13-30) wrote:

Replace the 1$ batteries every 1 yr or 2, or go waste your time and money and be happy and waste 50$, then come back for here for a efficency and a set back unit, and your name is only ignoranus?
If Iggy wants a simple thermostat w/o batteries, he will not have to waste a dime. I am offering to send him one, or even several to choose from-- FREE. Larry