DO NOT CALL list

Page 3 of 3
wrote in

No. Unfortunately a couple of months ago I moved back to NC. With rebuilding this HUD Wreck. Never got cable. Never even took the TV out of the box. Trying to beat the summer heat. Get all exterior stuff done I can before temp & humidity are the same...100.
On Sat, 3 May 2008 08:40:36 -0800, "SteveB"
[...]

[...]
I have problems with abusing or insulting the callers. THEY are not the problem; it's the companies that hire them. Would you rather they'd go on welfare (your tax $) than try to earn a living? These are not the cream of the crop, but at least they're working. Imagine how swallowing insults all day affects their health. Yes, before you start hurling thunderbolts -- stress DOES seriously affect people's health -- to the detriment of all of us.
My method is just to say politely: "I do not accept telephone solicitations. Please remove me from your calling list." Seems to work, as I get very few such calls, and when they goof and call again, I remind them this isn't making friends for the organization.
The kind of bullying described above, IMHO, is cheap and tacky. Treat everyone as you would want to be treated yourself, and don't take out your own problems on others.

I just say "not interested" and hang up. Because *my* time is valuable.
But I don't see the telemarketers as poor hapless would-be welfare cases trying to earn a buck. They've accepted a job which is all about being rude and intrusive, instead of a job getting breakfast to a trucker in a diner or shovelling gravel into a french drain for a landscaper (and yes - I've done both). I don't have time to play games with them, but I'm not exactly going to cry tears over their getting the brunt of others' frustration with them either.
Banty
aspasia wrote:

If my computer is on, I turn up the volume, put phone near speaker and log in here:
http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy /
On Sat, 03 May 2008 17:34:50 -0400, Frank

Well, I should probably give up...but...
Your method is just more cheap, juvenile gratification.
The poster who just says "not interested" and hangs up is at least more mature.
Can't you get your kicks some more productive way?
on 5/3/2008 7:01 PM aspasia said the following:

Well, it's not as bad as some others who espouse settling all disputes with a gun.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
aspasia wrote:

My attitude, as others have mentioned in thread, is to make telemarketing, junk mail, spam etc more costly to the initiators. They would not do it if there were no cost benefit. This "juvenile" thing is one of my milder approaches ;)

I just hand the phone to my daughter and say 'it's for you"; she LOVES to talk on the phone ;)
On Mon, 5 May 2008 00:33:14 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Dick Adams) wrote:
[snip]

I just got a call where the CID showed "TEXAS". It turned out to be a friend's cell phone. That sort of thing is why I use the answering machine, and don't reject numbers before they've been proven bad.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com