do NOT buy an HP laptop

I got an HP Pavillion zd7000 two years ago. After only one year, it started to overheat and shutdown, at least once a day. I had to place it on a book with the exhaust fans hanging off so they could breath in order just to use it. Eventually after one of the routine shutdowns, Windows would not start again. I had to take it to the only "HP certified shop" in the area, an hour away, and pay $100 for them to say it was just dirty and to clean the fans. So I got it back and cleaned the fans regularly, but it would still shut down often. Then after another year (only two years after purchasing it) Windows did not start again. I took it back to the same place, and they cleaned it but said it was something more than that. They installed a new motherboard, and it was still overheating, then sent that back and installed another motherboard, and the same thing happened. So they call me and basically say we don't know what the hell is wrong, we want to ship it back to HP, but it's going to cost at least $500 to fix it, and maybe more depending on what they find, and the harddrive may be wiped. Now for only triple that cost I can get a great brand new one, so that's what I did, this time with a 3 year warranty. I went with Lenovo ThinkPad T61, and I love it so far. You can barely even hear the fans running or feel any heat. It is simply ridiculous for a computer to crap out after only two years. I also had a HP Pavillion desktop years ago that would freeze up constantly, but at least that lasted 4 years first. Stay clear of HP!!!
--rafiki
Thank you drive through.
Sounds like you are basing your disdain for HP on some crappy local service center that you took it to. We purchase HP's at my company and have thousands and rarely have issues. When we do though, it sucks waiting for parts on new laptops. You can buy a part no problem, but warranted parts are "backordered".

I'm guessing you just haven't had 'em long enough for the issues to develop. And when you contact their tech support department... sheesh.
Ever notice how much "Hewlett Packard" sounds like "Useless Bastard"?
--
Regards,

Hmmmmmmm......

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) writes:

My HP zd8000 laptop has been fine, although you do have to make sure the fans have plenty of room to get air or the computer runs hot. As for the HP customer service though, they blow goats. We got a Windows box a few months ago to replace our old one, and HP sent it to an independent delivery company in a city over an hour away. Hilarity ensued.
Stacia

We've had them here for 7 years. We still have some in use that are that old... the poor bastards. We generally try to decommission after no more than 3 years.
Artrageouz took the hamburger meat, threw it on the grill, and I said "Oh Wow"...

HP is ass. Never buy one.
--
trippy
mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

I'm probably going Apple next time.
Sorry about you troubles, Dude. Good luck with the new one.
LG
--
"Keep it simple. If it takes a genius to understand it, it will never
work." - Clarence Leonard "Kelly" Johnson

"Lord Gow333, Conservative Fullback!" < snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
If you think you have something, do a google on "toshiba laptop"+"overheat" and see the millions of articles. I'm so disappointed in the design of this thing, I could throw it out the window sometimes. 'bout to give me a sunburn on my right leg.
--
Steve Barker

"rafiki" < snipped-for-privacy@erols.com> wrote in message
Steve Barker wrote:

Hmmm - haven't had a problem with either one of mine (1 A70, three years old, 1 M70, two years old.) On the other hand, I do make a point of cleaning out the fans a couple times a year. However, YMMV.
Yours aye, W. Underhill
--
"Take sides! Always take sides! You may sometimes be wrong - but the man
who refuses to take sides must *always* be wrong! Heaven save us from

If you managed to get the fan full of crud in one year, you must be using it in a filthy environment. Maybe you should vacuum once in a while.

You don't even have to be in a filthy environment. I blast a cloud of dust out of this junk toshiba once a month with the rubber tipped blow gun on the air compressor. And it never leaves the living room.
--
Steve Barker

"Art" < snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com> wrote in message
I bought a new HP laptop several months ago, and my only complaint is that HP STILL hasn't made a driver for Vista that will allow me to print -- on my HP printer, no less.--Joe (n.j.) [mWo]

there needs to be an HP-buyers union.
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:53:25 -0700, rafiki wrote:

My HP z5800 series did that. I cleaned the fans and all is ok. Gotta keep them clean, not much room for dirt inside.

Maybe the laptops suck, but I think the desktops are OK. I have an antique HP Pavilion Desktop 7+ years old. It came with WinBlows98SE, I upgraded it to XP. Runs like a champ. It still has the orginial Harddrive and power supply in it.

rafiki wrote:

your mistake was not buying it at Best Buy, and buying the extended warranty.
I have THREE HP computers, all run fine
BB fixed my old computer under extended warranty twice, no hassle..... replaced the printer when it crapped out, no hassle....
and replaced two cordless phones that crapped out, no hassle.
go to best buy, get the service contract, and worry about the important things in life