Do new Kenmore dishwashers come with a drain hose.

Our 12 year old Maytag dishwasher works fine but the racks are rusting out. A new set of racks cost close to $300 USD so told the wife to look for a new dishwasher.

She is interested in a Kenmore model. Was wondering if dishwashers still come with a new drain hose or is this now considered an additional option.

Thanks, Steve N2UBP

Reply to
Steve Stone

Last one we bought a few years ago did. A new supply line isn't included though.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

I don't know, but it should be on the web site if you look at the manuals or installation guide.

I had my Kitchen Aid installed by the local appliance dealer and he supplied new feed and drain lines. My guess is they do it to avoid callbacks when an old hose cracks and leaks.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If the only thing wrong with the dishwasher is the rack, have you thought about Rerack? I used it to repair my racks and it works fine. Better than I expected in fact. It just depends upon how bad the rack is as to whether it can be repaired.

Ken

I bought a new one about 7 years ago, it came with a hose. Never saw one that didn't, so if it was me, I wouldn't be worried about it. As Ed says, the install manuals can be found online.

Reply to
trader_4

Have you checked here:

bob_villa

I've already used this product or a similar one. It worked well for a few years but now the problem has returned.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

Yes, I have looked on eBay as well as other online sources. The only racks available for my model are new. The lower rack is about $150 and the upper rack about $125, plus shipping and tax. I also need to replace the upper door plastic section that holds the control panel due to stripping of the plastic screw holes, another $79. I probably overtightened them when I replaced the latch assembly two or three times in the past.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

Their pricing strategy would seem to defy logic, wouldn't it? I mean we're all used to somewhat outrageous prices for parts, but you wouldn't think they would sell any racks at all at those prices. You would think almost everyone would come to the conclusion you did, even if it's just the $150 rack. You would think to maximize profits they would set a much lower price, say $50, in which case they would sell a lot more of them, etc. I guess maybe they actually do sell them at that price, but I sure wouldn't think it would be many.

Kind of like drug prices. I've seen cases where the name brand drug cost $125 and the generic costs just $10. You have to wonder how that makes sense, ie again you would think the name brand would have to have a much lower price to maximize profits. In the drug case though, I suspect the problem is that govt insurance programs, some private insurance plans, must be dumb enough to pay the high prices. But with dishwasher racks, where it's the consumer, it's harder to figure.

Reply to
trader_4

Few repairs last forever. If the machine still works, treat the racks again.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, You are right. As soon as you put in new racks, some thing else will pop. Usually that is what happens with old any thing. New DWs are much quieter and uses lot less water per load. Does not even have mechanical latch any more..... Just hold on until your model goes on sale. Tony VE6CGX

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Parts pricing seems to be common in the appliance industry.

About 15 years ago I had a GE gas stove that needed new gas valves for the 4 burners. Each valve could be purchased from GE for $45 each, a total of $180 plus shipping and tax, and shipping was not cheap. Given there were other areas of the stove my wife deemed worn out and tired as well, but still serviceable we opted to replace the stove rather than perform the simple repairs.

Parts prices seem to be designed to push you into replacing the entire product rather than repairing the existing device, in many cases a waste of money and resources.

The only plus to my current transaction is that the new dishwasher claims to use less than half the amount of electricity that the old dishwasher used.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

It seems that the repair parts are very high compaired to the equipment. Unless it is under $ 50 for the parts, I just get a new whatever it is that broke. Usually in a short time some other part will often break. Not sure if it is done now,but many things have a time to fail engineering built in them. That way you get one part breakdown after another.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I found it much cheaper fix my clothes washer than to replace it. Motor and clutch damaged by basement flooding. Made it like new. Cost about $250 versus $1000 for a new washer. The most expensive parts are the SS tub and the casing parts. I'd have to think harder before buying them.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Same here.

Reply to
D F Bonnett

New dishwasher arrived this morning. It did come with a new drain hose. I did have to purchase a right angle water supply adapter that converted from the 3/8" water supply line connector to the garden hose style connector on the dishwasher.

First takes and observations,

Only install surprise was I couldn't jack it up high enough to fit properly in the 35 inch tall cabinet opening (cabinets circa 1988). I had to put one inch high wood shims under the front feet and rear wheels to get it up in place without a gap between the top of the machine and the countertop.

I ran it thru a rinse cycle and was impressed by how quiet it was compared to the 2003 Maytag it replaced, even though Consumer Reports only rates it as average for noise level.

Jury is still out on how good of a job it does on cleaning dishes. I'll find that out over the next few days.

My wife tells me Kenmore models are made by either Bosch or Whirlpool.

This one is a Whirlpool based on the model number. Box proudly states "Made in America" Time will tell if this is meaningful in a positive way.

Thanks for all your input!

Steve N2UBP

Reply to
Steve Stone

Use a good detergent. I've been using Cascade Platinum and it does a fantastic job. Dishes and glassware sparkle like new.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to Steve Stone, J wrote: I know this was clear last year, but thanks for coming back and telling us that it did come with a the hose!