Do Lowes Sales Staff Get Commissions?

Page 2 of 2
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Here ya' go...sign on and let us know... :)
http://www.lowes.com/lowes2/AboutLowes/careers/careers_opp.html

Mama always said my curiosity was bound to get me in trouble eventually, LOL!
Jo Ann

When I worked at Lowes 2 years ago, the only sales people that got a commission were the ones that worked in commercial sales. Some departments got a bonus if their overall sales were really good. However things at Lowes change constantly so an answer to the question this week may not be true next week.
KC

re: When I worked at Lowes 2 years ago, the only sales people that got a commission were the ones that worked in commercial sales
Did commercial sales include the millwork desk?
Since contractors often deal directly with the millwork desk as opposed to shopping the aisles and talking to the downsized systems analyst trying to bridge the gap until true retirement, I can easily see the millwork desk being part of the group that get commissions.

I think I know someone who still works in millwork. I'll check.
KC

OK, finally an answer to your question straight from a local Lowes millwork employee. It applies to all Lowes departments.
-They do not get a commission on store stock items. -They do get a commission on special order items and installation. -The commission is not on total sale price. It is a percentage of the markup percentage. In other words, two items both priced at $500, one having a markup of 15% and the other having a markup of 30%, would result in a diffferent commission for the employee. -Based upon that info, employees may be inclined to push installation and when special ordering items they may recommend the higher markup items. But buying in-store doors & windows would not make any difference. Hope this helps.
KC

I forgot to add one thing. Lowes does train a few select individuals for commission sales and occasionally you may run into one of these if you are a high volume buyer. But that is the exception rather than the rule.
KC

Note that even if a place doesn't use commissioned salespeople, they may still track sales closely. Best Buy, for example, makes a point of their people not getting commissions, which is supposed to make consumers feel that Best Buy salespeople therefore have no incentive to steer customers toward over-priced items.
But those Best Buy salespeople are very closely tracked. Their managers keep track of exactly how much each has sold, how many extended warranties they've convinced people to take, etc. Convincing you to buy a $2000 TV with an extended warranty, over a $1000 TV that exactly meets your needs, won't get that non-commissioned salesperson any more money that month--but it will help ensure promotions and raises later, and the continued existence of his job.
So take lack of commission with a large grain of salt when using it as an indicator that the salespeople don't have a strong incentive to push needless or expensive items on you.
--
--Tim Smith