Do light bulb heat BTUs Equal electric heater BTUs

Page 2 of 2
On 1/27/2011 1:10 PM, N8N wrote:

The Popular Science/Mechanics magazines had articles about eutectic salt heat buffering systems built into passive solar homes and I found it to be quite intriguing. I've read about a complex on a college campus that had an underground water reservoir that was frozen by a big heat pump system during the winter then used as a heat sink during the summer. I saw an article in an HVAC trade publication about a landlocked cathedral, in a city, that had no room for a horizontal line field. The solution was very deep wells for the heat exchanger serving the heat pump system. I imagine the cost of such systems coming down to the point where they may be seen in moderately priced homes in the near future. I just wonder if there is not something that would be a more efficient storage medium than a pool of plain water?
TDD

the house was a massive stome/masonry chimney connected to a wood stove. In the morning he'd fire up the stove and it would warm up the house and that massive chunk of stone - which would keep the house warm all day untill he returned home from work, when he would light the fire again, pumping enough heat into the mass of stone to keep the house warm all night.
On 1/28/2011 2:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I think I read that traditional fireplaces/ovens are built that way in Finland. I suppose Scandinavians have developed ways to keep warm over the years. :-)
TDD
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 19:27:24 -0600, The Daring Dufas

smaller scale.
On 1/28/2011 9:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I think Finnish fireplaces are so cool(no pun) and if I had the means to build a home, I would definitely include one in its construction. Some of them can be quite large.
http://www.woodmasonry.com/pages/whatis.html
http://www.mha-net.org /
http://chimneykeepers.com/masonheater.html
TDD
On Jan 28, 3:29pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

re:" Friend built a house years ago with a "thermal core""
A former co-worker built a post and beam house with a huge layer of sand under the slap as a "thermal base".
The chimney runs up through the center of the house. It is surrounded by drywall with a gap between the drywall and the chimney. The drywall does not go all the way to the peak of the house. At the highest point is a thermostat that controls a large fan in the basement that pulls the warm air down along the chimney and deposits it in the sand. (I don't recall the exact method he uses to do that)
He has black plastic pipe running in a spoke pattern in the sand from the chimney to the outer walls and up through the slab. The last time I was over there (many years ago) he hadn't run the pipe up to the first floor yet, but I remember walking over to the pipes where they came out of the slab and feeling the heat rising out of them with no fan or furnace running. The sand was just giving up it's heat.
On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 07:36:30 -0800, Smitty Two

Not only that, there are only 1700 posters on Usenet. That's why we see names we know wherever we go.
On 1/27/2011 10:30 AM, mm wrote:

No, no, no, there IS only 1700 posters on Usenet. Didn't you closely look at Smitty Two'sisis post? :-)
TDD