Do LED Christmas Strings Go Out In Sections Like Regular Minis?

Page 1 of 2
As many of us know, if you take the bulb out of a string of mini Christmas lights, that section of the string goes out. Sometimes a section will go out even with all bulbs in. Then you have to search for a bad bulb, a loose bulb or worse yet, a bad socket.
Do LED strings act the same way? Is the construction the same and it's just the bulbs that are different?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

LED strings do that too but not as much as bulbs. I got rid of all the old bulb strings. Seems newer LEDs are even more reliable. I like dark blue colored sparkling tiny LED ones outdoor.

I just bought some LED light sets to replace old ones that don't all work. I guess I'm fixing to find out how well they hold up.
--
Maggie

On Sunday, December 6, 2015 at 11:40:00 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

Since my house basically looks like this building anyway, maybe I'll just go with the Christmas Spotlight option next year.
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/SnFl5p0ZqEM/maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnFl5p0ZqEM

On 12/7/2015 8:41 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I've seen those and can't decide if they are cool or cheezy.
--
Maggie

On Monday, December 7, 2015 at 2:50:34 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

No comment on the size of my house? ;-)
On 12/7/2015 3:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It's tall? LOL
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote on 12/7/2015 :

Me thinks there is a few spare rooms he wants to rent... :D
Muggles brought next idea :

Does this mean I have tp chuck My 117 volt icicle light strings that I have had for 6 years and never put up?
On 12/8/2015 11:29 AM, Eagle wrote:

Only if you WANT to!
--
Maggie

Muggles has brought this to us :

Meh...We'l just cruze around the 'hoods and check out the houses with all that fancy lighting and wonder what their electric bill will be after the holidays. lol
On 12/8/2015 1:00 PM, Eagle wrote:

I bought some LED lights for my old fake tabletop tree. The lights that came on it were bad, so instead of just buying another tree I spent about an hour unwrapping the lights that came on it so I could replace them. There wasn't anything wrong with the tree except the lights. I counted them and there were about 150 lights on it, so I ended up buying a strand of 225 LED colored lights and put them on the tree last night. It looks like a brand new tree now, plus the little LEDS are might brighter and the colors are more intense, in addition, to them using about 1/10 of the electricity.
I also bought 1 strands of 50 LEDS and put them outside. One strand went on my potted baby Frazier Fir, and the other I wound up my porch support. I had to put my live tree on top of a 5 gallon bucket because it's pretty short, so I raised it up so it could be seen above the bushed in front of the porch. It's so cute. It's all on a timer, so it's good to go. I can't really climb to put lights to hang off the roof, and neither can the husband, but I have a little Christmas color on the porch AND in the house. :)
--
Maggie

Muggles formulated the question :

You are a very inovative Lady Maggie... :D
On 12/8/2015 1:33 PM, Eagle wrote:

[...]

Thanks! I like doing things outside of the box if the box just won't fit! lol
--
Maggie

On Tuesday, December 8, 2015 at 2:25:41 PM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:

Get out the tissues...
A long time friend of mine recently got married. (late 50's, 2nd marriage for both). My wife and I gave them a couple of gift certificates to a local garden center so they can buy some stuff for their house. His new wife is into landscaping, so we figured it would be a good gift.
I saw him last week and he told me that they bought a potted evergreen to use as a Christmas tree. When Christmas is over, they are going to plant it in their yard. He said that as long as the tree lasts, they will be able to look at it and know that it came from us.
On 12/8/2015 3:03 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

sat on our front porch for about 3 years growing and healing. I'd put lights on it every year while it was on the porch and then it healed up enough, so we planted it in the front yard. That spruce ended up growing into a healthy 20 foot tree, but after about 10 years in the yard the weather got it - extreme summer heat followed by some extreme winter temps 2 years in a row. We eventually had to cut it down, but it was pretty while it was there.
--
Maggie

On 12/06/2015 10:22 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
[snip]

One of the advantages of LEDs is the colors are more intense and don't fade with use like incandescents do.
--
18 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

On plug in AC sets, 'YES'.
On battery operated sets, they may be wired individually.
On 12/06/2015 10:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Except on small battery-powered strings, the LEDs are wired in series (similar to mini lights). On most of the ones I have a series is 25, 30, or 35 LEDs. Many strings have 2 (or even 4) series.
If a LED series fails, it is usually not a bad LED but a bad connection somewhere (maybe in the series resistor). I have one line that right now. It will light, but only if someone stands there and keeps pushing the wires into the lump with the resistor.
--
18 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
On Sun, 6 Dec 2015 20:01:24 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

The sets I have state they do not go out as a string, just the individual.