Do I really need 200 A main service?

Page 6 of 6
To me, the current supply sounds more than adequate. Details matter, though.
It makes a huge difference how many people live in the house. Is it 3000 square feet and 2 people, or 3000 square feet and 20 people? Do you expect to run the A/C at full blast and the sauna at the same time? Look at your monthly electric bills for usage, then consider what units are consuming the electricity, and on what schedule. Do you have consistent periods of peak demand? Are those peaks big or small? In other words, is your usage spread over the day or bursty?
    Una
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 5, 11:37 am, snipped-for-privacy@att.net (Una) wrote:

Five people live in house: two adults and three kids. New A/C will air condition new addition plus part of the existing house. I cannot speak of peak demand. I also at least in theory should consider that both A/ C and the sauna or steam generator may run together at a time. One thing I can speak for sure: although workshop sub-panel is rated for 50 A the only person who uses it is me and I run max two tools at a time rarely exeeding 20 A together.
Add pictures here
✖

I doubt you really compute much more than 120-130a, based on what you posted. The 3500 sq/ft plus the laundry and kitchen @35% is 21.8a Your sauna/steam is 60 I bet the A/C units are about 20a or less (use the full load on the condenser, not the breaker size) The issue is load diversity. If you really think you will be using the A/C, the sauna and running all the machines in your shop at the same time, you may have trouble. My thinking is if it is hot enough to run the A/C, just go sit in your car for a few minutes with the windows rolled up. That will be plenty of sauna ... for free.
Add pictures here
✖