Do I need to Replace French Drain?

I have a 30 year home. At some point in the past a french drain/drainage tiles and a sump pump were installed around the perimeter of the basement. In the three years since I moved in, on three occasions I have had a puddle near one corner of the basement. I do not know where the water comes in...it does not touch any walls and the walls are dry...presumably up through a crack in the floor.

I want to finish my basement. I have spoke basement waterproofers and always get the same answer...your system failed it has to be completely replaced (new perimeter trench, new drainage tiles, etc). But I do not know if they really even think of the problem...they always seem set on a whole new system (obviously to their advantage)...i feel like i cannot get any unbiased opinion.

could a less expensive solution work...add a sump pump near where the puddle has been...add extra drainage tiles under that part of the floor leading to a new sump pump...etc

i feel that these contractors (or at least the ones I talk with) play are trying to play on my fears to get me to agree to install a really expensive new system....

my old system for the most part seems to work...i have had a puddle three time in one spot with the rest of the basement dry...mb

p.s. i have delt with contractors for other types of home work without any problem or discomfort but basement waterproofing seems much more like "a racket" with high pressure sales techniques...

Reply to
mdb28

I think you are on the right track in thinking about installing the interior french drain. I had a similar problem with water coming up through a floor crack and wall floor joint during periods where the water table had risen quite dramatically. Had interior french drain system installed w/ 2 sumps and DC backup pump and have been dry ever since. Not cheap though. Could do yourself if you were handy but lots of hard grunt work hauling concrete and dirt out of basement. They jackhammer out about 18" of floor rperimeter and install tile and stone even with footer and run to sump pit. I was sceptical but it really worked. I'm poorer but a lot happier. Unfortunately, I didn't know I had a problem until I was about 2/3 of the way through finishing my basement. Lost it all. Still not confident enough to finish it off again. Pumps do quit working. Electricity does go out... It was a very painful summer here.

Reply to
Wet in MD

They are scaring you, if only an area is bad why not dig it up to repair it, or maybe a new pump as you say. Pull a permit, then get the inspector over for an unbiased opinion. That fee for the inspector is to help you to, use his services before and during jobs to ensure work is done properly.

Reply to
m Ransley

If you want an unbiased opinion hire an engineer to come out and look at your problem. Many waterproofing contractors have only one system to sell as a cure. They will evaluate your problem with a bias towards fixing it with the system that they sell.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel