Do I need to redo the wire mesh or rebar?

You don't say what loads are to be imposed on the slab. A qualified engineer would have to decide some of the issues you raise As a general answer, I usually see the old slab edge drilled to accept steel reinforcing dowels that are anchored to the existing slab with epoxy and poured into the new slab. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Since you seem to be concerned about the new slab dropping and exerting pressure on the pipe, consider small reinforcing bars that essentially span the opening. Welded wire mesh adds little to the spanning capacity of the slab. Hangers would be placed and the new slab poured around the upper ends. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Planning to cut open a 36"x36" hole in my concrete slab to repair an underground PVC sewer line. I have no idea if the repair is to be just at the break, or I need to replace a longer section that may be pitched back due to the break. I will be hiring a plumber to come do the repair.

For the concrete cutting I will be hiring another company to come do it. I assume when I cut through the slab there will be either wire mesh or rebars, when I finished the plumbing repair, I will need to redo the mesh right? Will the concrete saw make a clean cut? If so how do I tie back another mesh? Do I need to drill holes in the slab "sideways" to expose the mesh or rebars?

If I do not replace the mesh, I think the weight of the concrete slab will eventually settle on the PVC pipe and that's bad.

One more thing, I understand when they install PVC pipe to ensure proper slope they install "hangers". How can hangers be installed when you are doing it from above and the concrete slab is not even poured?

TIA,

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

The area is currently in the middle of the kitchen and will remain so after the repair. No load except for foot traffic.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse

And a refrigerator moved around. Don't forget about how heavy those can be.

Reply to
wkearney99

In alt.home.repair on Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:09:15 -0400 "miamicuse" posted:

And an occasional rolling of a new refrigerator in or the old one out.

Or a piano through the back door.

??

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

In alt.home.repair on Mon, 01 Aug 2005 02:19:25 GMT "Edwin Pawlowski" posted:

True, but I also forgot my mother-in-law.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

Still a pittance compared to a driveway for trucks. I'd use some mesh though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The support for the repaired pipe section will be the soil on which it rests. It should be thoroughly compacted. Likewise, the main support for the new section of concrete floor will be the soil on which it rests -- same as for the original floor. Be sure it is also thoroughly compacted. The backfill should be appropriately dampened and well tamped. Take a look at excavation repairs on the public streets. It's the same general procedure.

SJF

Reply to
SJF

The mesh is to keep the slab from cracking, not to hold up the slab. A 3x3 section should be fine without any but you can throw mesh or pieces of steel that you have around in the pour if you like. Rebar, angle iron, whatever. The sawcutter will make a nice clean cut for you to patch.

CR

Reply to
CR