do I need another downspout?

Had news eavestroughs put up awhile ago, and the installer seems to have done a bad job. In a heavy rain they overflow at the ends opposite the downspout, and there's standing water in them after the rain. I'm getting the contractors to come back and rehang them, but in the meantime I wonder if I need an additional downspout. The roof of my house, in side profile, is shaped like this:

(back) (front) /\ / \ / \ ____________/ \__ |------------

Reply to
Al Sponsor

He didnt check the level and install with downslope to downspouts, and that is the sign of a really crappy job. The number of downspouts needed is related more to the area of roof drained, per gutter run. One always assumes the pitch of the gutter is enough to get a good flow towards the downpipe, and the downpipe diameter should reflect the roof area drained, and the liklihood of torrential rains in your area. If there is a bow in the middle of the gutter, and nothing can be done to fix this, then your only alternative is to have a downpipe at each end.

Reply to
Roger

Another downspout can't hurt, especially if there is a good sloped area to drain to and the appearance of it is not highly noticeable. Another option is to replace the exisiting downspout with a larger downspout.

Reply to
Phisherman

There are charts that help design gutter and leader sizes. Geographic area gives rate of rainfall Roof Area then leads to sizing data. Architectural Graphic Standards & SMACNA manuals include these tables.

Tom Baker Charleston SC

Reply to
Tom Baker