Do I need a switch for my porch light?

I am installing a porch light. It will be fed directly from a garage outlet. I will run 14/3 Romex inside the wall. I do not intend to use a switch because I will use a "dusk to dawn" automatic switch to turn the light on and off.

Is this OK, or must every light be controlled by a switch?

Reply to
Walter R.

The NEC will let you use "automatic" control of the outside light (210.72(a)(2)(b) exception) but your energy code may further restrict that.

Reply to
gfretwell

On 4/20/2008 6:24 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

Also keep in mind that some automatic lights like this may require a switch to reset them in case of a power outage, light getting confused, etc. (You could cycle the breaker controlling the light if necessary, but that's a funky way to do it.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

"Walter R." wrote on 20 Apr 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

Some possible concerns: - Will the spouse like this configuration? Will the spouse like this configuration five years from now? - When you sell the house, the purchasers will probably make you put in a switch.

Reply to
Steve

I would put a switch on the line, if to make service easier if nothing else. Some of those sensors need replacement from time to time and being able to turn off the power at a switch (Make double sure you are switching the hot side) makes the job faster and easier.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Do it right, install a switch.

Reply to
Phisherman

occasionally you will need to turn it off, for say bulb replacement, cleaning etc.

do it right install a switch

Reply to
hallerb

Ok, guys, you win. A switch it will be.