Do I have to have an electrician

Page 2 of 2
To do what you are describing, you need to kill the power completely, and pulling the meter isn't sufficient. The meter pan is screwed to the existing siding and the box must be opened to remove the screws. If you just try to pry the box off, those screws may contact the live jaws inside. The service needs to be disconnected at the drop,(overhead wires). Permits, electricians, utility companies, meter seals and the like all has to do with what you know and where you live... just be safe

Don't cut the seal yourself. You can be held liable in court if theft is suspected. What I suggest is that you stop and talk with one of the crews on the local electrical trucks when you see one in your area. Tell them what you're wanting to do and ask if they will disconnect it for you temporarly and then connect it back. In my area they will do this at no cost...but make sure you start the work in the morning because if you don't have it finished by the time they get off work you'll be without power till the next day. IF they agree to do this for you, you won't need a permit. Before I get a million replys that someone doesn't believe this or it might be illegal, that's the way it goes here. Of course, if you didn't talk or act like you know what you were doing once they disconnect the power, they would probably be hesistent to do that for you. Know for sure and act like you do when you talk with the electrical crew and I'd bet they would help you out.