Do hologens dim with age?

I have an overhead halogen fixture in the home office. It uses one of those 300W double-ended halogen bulbs (118 mm).
I've had the fixture for a many years and have replaced the bulb 2-3 times. I never noticed that it got dimmer before it burned out. The past few months, the light in that room has seemed dimmer. I thought it was just my old eyes. But this morning the bulb burned out and I replaced it. Now the room is bright like it used to be.
Do halogen bulbs dim with age?
On 12/04/2014 10:27 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Guess you answered your own question
On 12/4/2014 11:27 AM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

The ones I've had, the bulbs get silver on the inside of the glass, and yes they do get dim.
The halogens, are supposed to condense the tungsten on the filament when they cool down, so the bulbs last longer. Remember that from some where.

No, I didn't. Guess halogens aren't the only thing that gets dim with age.
On 12/04/2014 12:54 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Idiot ***plonk***
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 13:43:35 -0500, Stormin Mormon

It's odd. I'd swear that there was little or no dimming with the previous 2-3 bulbs in that fixture. Myabe they were cheaper bulbs that burned out before they could get dim.
On 12/4/2014 1:56 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Yes, cheaper bulbs will have a tendency to that.
With the wide variety of LEDs now on the market, you may want to consider changing out that high energy hog halogen. You may never have to change the bulb again.
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 08:27:32 -0800, Jennifer Murphy
I thought you asked if hooligans dimmed with age, and I was going to say that most crimes are committed by people in their 20's, teens, 30's, etc. So yes the hooligans do dim.

Oh, light bulbs. I dunno.

Ouch, oww, owie. And please, whatever you do, don't plonk me. I just couldn't live without you, sweetie.
On 12/4/2014 6:57 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Philo just loves to wear his dungeon master black leather when he plonks people.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I thought of that. I am still thinking about that. ;-)
The halogen is indeed an energy hog. The glass cover on the overhead fixture gets hot enough to burn fingers. And the light attracts bugs, which are instantly fried to a crisp. They then accumulate in the bottom of the cover, which further dims the light.
I'll have to replace the entire fixture, so that means I have to go shopping, decide on a style, etc., etc. (sigh)
I had a spare halogen, so I just replaced the bulb. And now the light works. It's like the leaking roof. When it's leaking, it can't be fixed because it's raining. And when it's not raining, it's not leaking.
I just did a quick search for overhead LED fixtures, but couldn't find anything close to 300 watts. Maybe I'll look into track lighting. That would spread the light out better.
On 12/4/2014 8:21 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

You're assuming 300 watts is light output/brightness? I can assure you using LEDs such as with 4600K for example, will exceed the brightness you are seeking while using less than 20 watts total. Even fluorescent lamps will be better than a halogen. You don't want a fixture and lamps that burn 300 watts. Your electrical meter would spin like a top, well, almost. Using CFLs and LEDS in the household will save you a crapload of money in the long run.
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 19:34:42 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Really. Do they sell black leather outfits to adolescents?
On 12/4/2014 8:23 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Forged his Mom's signature.
On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 20:44:50 -0500, Stormin Mormon

Of course.

I believe you. As lights burn out, I am replacing them with LEDs.
Don't they have some equivalency rating, like lumens?
I'll keep looking.
On 12/4/2014 10:11 PM, Jennifer Murphy wrote:

Yes, lumens. That's one measure of light output.
Fluorescent and LED can have different color, some people are fine with the old filament bulbs, but other bulbs bother their eyes.