Do coin batteries ever leak?

On 8/26/2014 10:30 PM, micky wrote:

swollowed. Kids are more at risk.
Not sure if that qualifies. Can't say as I've ever had one leak in a device.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 10:52:50 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Now that is a true miracle. :)
On 8/28/2014 2:26 PM, Thomas wrote:

You want the lead the congregation in holy haleighleujahs? (We seldom use that word, I can't spell it.) I want to hear you in the back row!
--
.
Christopher A. Young

On 8/26/14, 10:30 PM, micky wrote:

leaked. They contain zinc and lye, which can produce hydrogen, which can burst seals. High-drain batteries have thinner separators and are more likely to leak. Energizers are the least likely to leak. Unbranded cells are the most likely.
Lithium cells won't leak from electrolysis.
On 08/27/2014 12:04 AM, J Burns wrote:

I've noticed with the standard carbon batteries, if they are left under load (as in leaving your flashlight on in the pre-LED days) they will always leak.
As to the computer CMOS batters...I have yet to see one leak (and I work on hundreds of computers each year)
On 08/27/2014 04:40 AM, philo wrote:

Hi Philo,
1+
Those batteries are CR3032 Lithium Button Cells. I change them for my established customers for free as a customer service action. (Nice guy, huh?)
Maybe they don't leak because they are Lithium?
-T

Come to think of it, I myself was given a broken camera that a guy had in his pocket when he got in the swiimming pool or hottub on the cruise boat. He got right out, but the camera didnt' work.
I took it apart and it had white crystals. I guess I thought they came from the ocean, that the sea-water evaporated and this was sea salt.
But maybe they had something to do with the battery discharging through the ion-laden water, and mayb it was leakage. But even if it was, I scraped off the crystals and it looks perfect. No corrosion.
Unfortunately no one sells the battery anymore. So I bought one that's one size bigger, and I think it's too big. Reassembling the camera has dropped low on my todo list. I'm also hoping if a year or two goes by, they'll start making that battery again. (They make the battery itself, but not with solder tabs.)

Despite JB's warnings, for which I thank him, I'm going to go with the majority, whom I thank, and feel good. I haven't changed the coin battery in my setback thermostat for 30 years, and it occurred to me that it must be dead by now. Actually it might have been dead 10 years ago, but I didnt' have a fear of it leaking, so I didn't remove it. The thermostat is hard to get to, so now that I "feel good", I'm not going to rush.
Other than that camera, I've never seen one leak either, and the camera cleaned up with no residue. (BTW, many or most digital cameras use a replaceable maybe rechargeable battery, but still have another little battery deep inside. I didn't know that until I took this one apart.

things like date and preferences.