Do any of the realtors use broadband as a selling point for homes?

Page 2 of 3
On 8/18/2012 12:12 PM, surfin' savant wrote:

Agree about the condolences ... but COMfrigginCAST? .... spit!!
I wouldn't buy the property way out there (wherever it is), but I know a heap of people who could care less. In fact as long as (at least) wired phone service was available they would be just fine.
Sorry about your DSL problems. Usenet and surfing is pretty much instantaneous on DSL here (Verizon in SW PA) and WIFI works great. I can get TV broadcasts as well, but as expected, it isn't as fast as cable (tho pretty close), so I use DirecTV for TV, works a treat and is way less expensive than cable. DirecTV has no problems with the DSL driven home WIFI here, record from any of 5 TVs and watch on any of them simultaneously, no problem.
As far as cable is concerned, unfortunately only Comcast here abouts... spit!
When I signed up for satellite a while back I returned Comcast's equipment in a kitty liter bucket and told them to keep the bucket.
John

I had ComCast for six months, recently. The service was pretty good, actually.

I certainly wouldn't be happy with dial-up.

Wired phone <> DSL. It takes a very good, short, line to get DSL at all.

I'd certainly take it over either DSL service I have now. It was twice as fast as my other line and ten times faster than this line.

Whatever.

Umm... An "area without broadband" is one which is too far away from the population center where the central facilities for various services are located...
The cable or phone company is not going to string 10 miles of cables to serve two houses, if those homes really want the services they have to pay to build them out from the closest network access point to the premises they wish to be connected...
It is just like getting electrical service to a remote location.
The cost is what makes an area devoid of broadband.....
~~ Evan
Evan wrote:

Where my cabin is located we have gas. electricity and no land line phone but cell phone works. We created a co-op for net access using WiFi with an antenna tower and AP. We pulled the money for initial investment and now cost is ~50.00/month per family as subscribers increase there is possibility the cost may go down further.
At home I have full featured TV, two phone lines, 50/5 net access as a bundle. 150.00 a month. Real time video streaming for home theater is never a problem day or night.

No, shit? I'm sure no one here knew any of that. Thank you for enlightening us, Evan.
On Aug 18, 3:29pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Most of the replies were bitching about satellite internet as if there were zero other options besides dial--up connections...
That is clearly not factual and has been for some time now, customers are just unwilling to pay to build out the networks to where they can be connected -- so it is all about the money...

No shit? Wow! You're smart, Evan.

Good grief!
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 17:18:35 -0700 (PDT), Evan

can NOT be exceded and still give you any kind of service - at ANY price. Cable can be extended beyond the normal limit with the installation of a digital bi-amp. For a price.
On 8/18/2012 10:27 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

DSLAM . But the problem is phone companies are largely not interested in maintaining or upgrading their wired networks because say they put a remote DSLAM down the block from you they still can't offer TV.
On 8/18/2012 8:18 PM, Evan wrote:

$30k to extend the power lines and they paid that because they don't want neighbors. But yet they keep on insisting the cable company is rotten because they won't build out to their property for free.
On 8/18/12 12:18 PM, Evan wrote:

Maybe not. The Rural Utilities Service of the USDA might foot some or all of the expense.

The Rural Electrification Administration helped got power to farms. A bit here about that: > http://tiny.cc/1gj9iw
On 8/18/2012 8:56 PM, Dean Hoffman > wrote:

bringing electric lights, motors and refrigeration to farmers. But what value is to the average taxpayer to pay for someones broadband because they live in a sparsely populated area typically by choice?
On 8/18/2012 1:18 PM, Evan wrote:

We border on what used to be a rural area where people decided they don't want neighbors so they moved out there . There are maybe 10 homes/mile. The few people who live there are constantly making noise about why everyone else should pay to bring cable services to their homes.

Exactly, but for some reason people will pay for that but want cable infrastructure installed for free.

When I moved about 6 years ago, that was one of the first questions I had about the area. If they did not have cable internet it would have been a no sale.
A friend of mine has a house about 1500 feet off the road. The cable line runs right by the main road.. He had to pay about 2 to 4 thousand to get the cable internet to his house. In his case it was necessary as he did a lot of internet work and his wife has a business doing things over the internet such as designing web pages. They were able to use it as a business expense.
On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 16:09:16 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"

That cost was common a few years back. Our local cable company had a 200' limit for free, then it was $x per foot. With competition from DSL and SAT TV, they started doing some free hookups.
On 8/18/2012 4:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Comcast does it by estimating construction cost. They will eat the first so many dollars per installation.
Metspitzer wrote:

I don't see an entry for broadband on the MLS style sheets. But if a realtor doesn't mention it, she should.
I would think you should be okay in most metropolitan areas. I'm in Houston and www.speedtest.net just gave me the following numbers:
Ping: 11msec Down: 24.89Mbps Up: 3.45Mbps
Over a Comcast cable residential service.

Don't believe them. Agents don't know and will tell you what you want to hear. BTDT.

AL AT&T DSL: Ping: 87msec Down: .70Mb/sec Up: .11Mb/sec
Great, huh! If I remember, I'll report my GA numbers Monday but they're usually about 4-5x that, still not spectacular.

Damn, I must be lucky. Verizon Fios
Ping 5ms download 42.95Mbps Up 25.95Mbps
have to admit, it's smokin fast

Just now using Cox cable:
Ping 47ms Down 23.4 Mbps Up 5.68 Mbps
Question is how accurate is that test? I'm only paying for "up to" 15Mbps down. Some days it reads as high as 35 Mbps down. I don't know whether to be happy or skeptical.