Do any of the realtors use broadband as a selling point for homes?

Page 1 of 3
I sure would have to think hard about moving to an area without broadband. We have relatives that just bought a house a year ago and they are forced to use Hughes satellite. We call that area dial up country.
On 8/18/2012 11:14 AM, Metspitzer wrote:

The house would absolutely positively have to be serviced by Comcast or Verizon FiOS. I would not settle for DSL of any flavor.
And please send my condolences to your relatives. (I used to suffer with Hughes.) :-(

I debated Hughes then heard from people who had it.
I did get broadband through century link - hah! The promies 5 meg. Tech stepped otu of truck an said: "I don't care what they promised you, you ain't gonna get 5 megs, mayby 1 meg". He tuned up every junction box from my house to town and got me 640k on a good day. Still beat dial-up by a mile. Neighber down the road from my 1/4 mile tried for broadband. Tech: No way!
Harry K

I have DSL in this house. There was no cable service when I moved here but I could get DSL (the house is well inside the city limits but is in a new subdivision). The best I could buy was 1.5MB but after some problems (that turned out to be the modem) they said I shouldn't have more than 768Kb service, due to the distance to the CO, so downgraded me. OK, so I never got above that, anyway and saved a little money. They ran cable by here a year or so ago but I didn't see any point in changing since we were planning on moving, somewhere. Our new house is in a very new subdivision (read: far from completely built out) and it's DSL or Hughes, there too. I went with 6Mb DSL (but get 3-4Mb). I'd rather have more (6Mb seems to be a good tradeoff) but it seems "good enough".
The problem with Hughes is the download limit 1/4GB/mo, IIRC. Ick. My cell phone is 6GB, though my data reception (only 3G) isn't great at the new place. I lived with it for a couple of months, though.
On 08/18/2012 09:48 AM, Harry K wrote:

When I signed up with CL, the promotional flyer said speeds up to 7Mb, but the CSR said I could only get 1Mb in my area, but within a few months it would improve.
After three months I called them, and they bumped it up to 3Mb.
It's a lot slower than the 12Mb cable I was getting from comcrap, but the price is a lot better.
Jon

That is the annoying part here. A huge fiber optic line runs right past my house just 100 " away. It is the major feed between towns, no resisdential connections.
Harry K

You think they can tap that just for you?
On Aug 18, 9:34pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Of course I don't. Why did you think I did?
Harry K

What's the point of the whine about it running right by your house, if you know it can't be used? It might just as well be a hundred miles away?
On Aug 19, 9:53am, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

What's the point of your post? You just bored or sumpin?
Harry K

That's precisely what I was asking you when I wrote, "You think they can tap that just for you?".
On Aug 20, 4:39pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Still bored I see.
Harry K
On 8/20/2012 7:39 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

He just stated the facts. He never said he thought they could tap it.

It's Tuesday.

You're an idiot, HomoGay.
On 8/18/2012 11:23 PM, Harry K wrote:

And often no business connections either. Unless you have really significant requirements and want say gigibit MAE service they won't bother.
What most people don't realize is that unless they are in a major market many businesses are stuck with crappy Internet because the cable company wired the residential neighborhoods and never thought about the commercial and what used to be industrial areas and the phone companies often care very little about upgrading their wired infrastructure.

Yep. 1 mile down the road from me is one of the biggest John Deere dealerships in this area. The fiber optic rus right by them - no tap. I can see the tower they use for internet from my bedroom windwo.
Harry K
On 8/19/12 9:45 AM, Harry K wrote:

That tower might be for their GPS. It could be a correction tower for the farmers' tracking systems. Farm equipment can steer itself now.
On 8/19/2012 10:45 AM, Harry K wrote:

cell companies put a site really close to that facility. Verizon ran almost 4 miles of fiber from their CO to the new cell site. I got all of the info I could from the cell people and no one in Verizon is even the slightest bit interested in talking to me about getting connectivity over the spare fiber they ran.
We looked at a point to point link and an 80' tower would be needed to clear a ridge. It would cost $30,000 to put up a freestanding tower.
On 8/19/12 9:45 AM, Harry K wrote:

That tower might be for their GPS. It could be a correction tower for the farmers' tracking systems. Farm equipment can steer itself now.
On 8/18/2012 11:12 AM, surfin' savant wrote:

DSL would be fine. Hughesnet, not so much. We have a rental in Hughsnet land. The tenants use 4g verizon.
--
Steve Barker