Do ants like crawl spaces?

I'm moving into an old house with large black ants currently crawling over my front porch. I'm going to be doing some work under the house like fixing leaks, putting wood panels behind lattice work so critters can't get in, and putting plastic on top of the exposed dirt of the crawl space. Do I need to find out where the ants are coming from and spray first, or is that spray going to be toxic to whoever's working under the house? I've seen a couple little ant hills in the back yard, but I'm really hoping the house isn't sitting on one huge one! Kirsten
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says... :) I'm moving into an old house with large black ants currently crawling over :) my front porch. I'm going to be doing some work under the house like :) fixing leaks, putting wood panels behind lattice work so critters can't get :) in, and putting plastic on top of the exposed dirt of the crawl space. :)
Large black ants are probably carpenter ants. Look for them in a nearby tree. With moisture problems they may be in any rotted lumber in the area.
--
http://www.geocities.com/larflu/zebra.jpg

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!
thems is carpenter ants son, eat moist dead wood , loggs ,trees , house , home..you outta luck !!.. kidding..... max force baits and ant poison by bayer can help...... tough battle....lotta work and vigilance , AND LEARNING about them ants....
I've purchased pest control products from www.gardensalive.com and had good results with them. They don't make sprays for usenet flamers, though. But they have good ant and moth stuff.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus