Do Anteaters Make Good Pets?

Page 2 of 3

Most of us experiemented with solar power when we were kids by using a magnifying glass to incinerate ants, right? Well maybe I could get a big lens and set it up over each ant hill for a while.

Well with all the wizardry around here you would think someone could rig their cell phone to redirect Hubble. Them 20 acres of ants will just start poppin' and cracklin' all over the place.

After reading the replies and some web sites and went and looked at them again and they are perhaps about 5/16" long.

I assumed whoever said to use gasoline was joking and my reply was not meant to be serious.

still too big to be fireants. Fireants are about 1/8" long.

sorry. but there ARE plenty of people who would do that,either not knowing or not caring about the contamination.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

The fireants we had in Louisiana were much bigger than the ones we had in Florida.

I found a local web site and the picture they have looks exactly like the ants I have.
http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pdep/rifa /
It looks like I have to call the 800 number.

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 09:11:45 -0700, "Ulysses"

And the treatment is free...."With one call, your local Red Imported Fire Ant authority or county agricultural commissioner's office will inspect your property for Red Imported Fire Ants and treat confirmed colonies at no cost to you."
Those are the same as fire ants in Florida, that I'm familiar with.
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:14:09 -0700, "Ulysses"

As the other poster said, you can try Amdro but the ants here won't eat that anymore. The other solution that seems to work is Orthene, a nasty smelling white powder in a black plastic bottle that you sprinkle on the mound. In the end all you really do is move them but you can usually move them away from you. The down side is you might get ants backfilling the environment that are more of a problem. I got rid of fire ants that stayed outside and got black ants that are a real problem in the house. I have them pushed back right now but they are still around. I kinda miss the fire ants. ;-)

but
when
then
tried
product
and
Yea, you always have to think of the consequences. My kids wanted me to get rid of the ants on the top of our hill and I explained that we might end up with something worse instead. I also wanted to get rid of the poison oak next to our creek but the weed killer is potent for about two weeks and you never know when it's going to rain here in the summer and then it would probably end up in the ground water--our well. Fortunately the poison oak doesn't seem to bother me any more.
[snip-snip-snip]

Lucky you! How about those kids? Are they lucky enough to have built up an immunity to poison oak, too?
The Ranger

Nobody seems to get it any more and we haven't had to buy any Tecnu for a few years. Now, if we could develop resistance to fire ants....

Get some Phroid Flies...
Stolen without permission from:
http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/05/13/2233257
Texas Makes Zombie Fire Ants Posted by samzenpus on Wed May 13, 2009 10:20 PM
from the what-could-go-wrong dept.
eldavojohn writes
"What do you do when a foreign species has been introduced to your land from another continent? Bring over the natural predator from the other continent.
Scientists in Texas have introduced four kinds of phorid flies from South America to fight fire ants. These USDA approved flies dive bomb ants and lay an egg inside the ant. The maggot hatches and eats away juicy tender delicious ant brain until the ant is nothing more than a zombie that wanders around for two weeks before the head falls off and the ant dies. A couple of these flies will cause the ants to modify their behavior and this will be a very slow acting solution to curb the $1 billion in damage these ants do to Texas cattle ranches and oddly enough electrical equipment like circuit breakers. You may remember zombifying parasites hitting insects like cockroaches."
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 08:14:09 -0700, "Ulysses"

Try Tero. It contains the ingrediant Boric acid, toxic to insects, low toxicity to humans and animals. You may have fire ants.

but
when
then
tried
product
and
Thanks. Is that the same thing as roach powder?
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 18:44:33 -0700, "Ulysses"

RoachPruf is a blue colored boric acid. You could mix it with sugar or grease as the bait. Lookup the concentration, you don't want it so strong that they die before feeding the queen!

micro-ants,
prefer
eat
anteaters
the
problem.
I read some more about anteaters and it looks like the problem is that they avoid eating the queen so the nest survives so they don't destroy their food supply. If only rabbits were that smart.
So far boric acid looks like the way to go.
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 07:32:31 -0700, "Ulysses"
Just figure out what they eat and make your bait out of that, about 12:1 or less. As other posters have said, not too much BA or you just kill the first few ants that eat it and the rest will stop eating that stuff.
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:43:24 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Agree. Some people make baits using jam and BA. A local article by a state entomologist stated to use peanut butter with BA mixed at 10:1. We went on to say that if you see dead ants along their path, reduce the BA.
"Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth" (DE) is used as an insecticide.* Not the same DE for pools, though. Buy it a farm/feed supply store.
"Diatomite is also used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate. Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans. It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate a cockroach infestation. This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage"
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth#Pest_control

Well, that's very interesting. I didn't come across that one on the fire ant websites that I read. I once had to use boric acid to get rid of cockroaches and it really worked. I'm gonna see if there are any diatomites around. Doesn't DE come from the deserts? Makes me wonder if there are any ants where they find the stuff.

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 08:53:01 -0700, "Ulysses"

Short read here:
http://www.biconet.com/home/infosheets/DEarticle1.html
"Perma-Guard Household D-20 is not registered for sale in the state of California."
http://www.biconet.com/home/pgHouseHold.html