Do Anteaters Make Good Pets?

Page 1 of 3
I have a big problem with little ants. Not the really tiny micro-ants, but the red ones that are maybe 1/2" long. They are surprisingly painful when they bite you and leave a sizable welt. I have tried sprinkling the anthills with Bug-B-Gone and it seems to work for about three days and then they just open up a new hole and go on about their business. I even tried spraying them with Raid but that had little effect. Anyone have a product that they like for getting rid of ants? If it's possible I would prefer a product that won't kill any birds that eat the ants. The quail appear to eat the ants but I can't really confirm this. In any case they don't eat enough of them to make a difference so now I'm wondering about anteaters and if they would like living in Southern California High Desert and if the coyotes would bother them and if they could actually control the problem. Seriously.

amdro
Ulysses wrote:

You are describing fire ants. You must live in the South. We used to pour gasoline down their nests and set them on fire. Fight fire with fire!
On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:33:06 +0000 (UTC), badgolferman

people like you should stay in cities. Not everywhere needs to be a hazmat site.
badgolferman wrote:

You need to go after their food supply. Cover your trash; spray the bags going into the trash bin, etc.
AZ Nomad wrote:

I noticed that every day I blow out my bug zapper, all the bugs are gone off the drive way by evening. I know the birds eat some but I noticed today a dead bug moving across the driveway. There was an ant under it carrying it away.

Sounds like you have fire ants.
There are fire ant baits that work somewhat in at least slowing them up. One year I had so many fire ant mounds in my yard I had my lawn care company spread something on my yard that got rid of them for that one season. It was rather expensive and I don't know if it was lethal to the birds, but it did stop the ants for a year or so.
Here in Texas they are experimenting using some kind of imported tiny wasps that are supposed to eradicate fire ants for once and all.
Freckles

and that technique worked well with the african bees, didn't it?
charlie wrote:

African bees were brought to South America in the fifties as part of a lab expiriment. The problem was that they got outside of the lab.
The interesting thing about the african bees is that they are virtually identical to our regular European honey bees, and are actually no more venomous, either. The difference is that it takes very little to provoke african bees to attack, and once provoked, they attack in greater numbers and over greater distances.
Jon

fire ants are only about 1/8" long.
the wasp is the Phorid Fly.
http://www.biologynews.net/archives/2009/05/11/new_phorid_fly_species_turns _red_imported_fire_ants_into_zombies.html
or; http://tinyurl.com/posc8f
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The fire ant sizes vary from about 1/16" to about 3/8" in each mound here in Texas that I have seen.
Freckles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_ant
says there's 280 species of fire ant,and that they range from 0.12" to 0.24",or 1/4" or smaller. 2mm to 6mm for the metric fans.
Here in Florida,I've only seen the small version.
(I guess this is more of that "Texas grows 'em bigger" baloney...) 8-)
more 'good' news....;
Recently there has been a large spike in the fire ant population of the southern United States[5]. Environmentalists have predicted that before April 2010 the fire ant population will have increased by nearly 40% in the United States.[6] The ants are believed to be coming from Mexico and contain a much more poisonous venom than other fire ants, thus causing many states to start emergency programs to destroy fire ant colonies before they spread.[7]
damn Mexicans.....even their ants are coming in illegally!
just what we need,"a much more poisonous venom",too!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

When I lived in Florida, we called them "piss" ants. "He bit the piss out of me" :-)
"A white pustule usually appears the next day at the site of the sting (Cohen 1992)."
Size range scale here:
http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/ants/fire_ant04.htm
http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/creatures/urban/ants/red_imported_fire_ant.htm

Didn't you say they were only 1/8" long?
As far as I've read they do not have any predators in the U.S. so they evidently live longer and are able to grow longer than the length stated in the various articles.

I've have visited Florida and I've seen mounds of fire ants with individuals ranging for about 1/16" to about 3/8" there also.

Yes. the ones I see are the workers that defend the mound(~1/8"),but if you tear open the mound,you see bigger,winged ants.

That I don't believe.

Of course,none of use are actually measuring,but only "eyeballing" or estimating the size... Different people have widely varying accuracies WRT estimating size;just ask any woman about guys with "six inches"....! B-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

My poor dog kept licking her foot yesterday and after several attempts to find the problem I finally found a red ant stuck between her claw and pad. Now I'm getting pissed off at the ants. It ruined her whole day.

If they are fire ants then I guess I should call Vector Control. I think I heard something several years ago about a county program to try to control the. I just never knew what a fire ant was.
As for getting rid of their food supply I live on 20 acres and they appear t o eat the greasewood and sage brush and I'm not allowed to clear it due to environmental protection laws. Occasionally I'll throw a dead mouse from a mouse trap into the bushes and they might be eating those but I'm talking about a LOT of ants. When the sun is shining I don't think there is one square yard of my 20 acres that does not have at least one ant on it, usually a red ant. That seems to leave amdro (I'll have to look that up), DDT (that should work, might be hard to find though), and gasoline. Gasoline I can get but I'll have to make sure the Fire Captian isn't flying over as I live in and Extreme Fire Hazard Area. :-D

FIRE ANTS ARE NOT 1/2 inch long.
DONT put gasoline on the ground,it gets into the ground water and pollutes it,even a small amount of gas.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Fire ants that big would really spook me knowing what the std 1/8" or so ones feel like.

That's right. You must be ecological. Recycle your used motor oil on them instead :-)