Do all wells need shock treatments?

My wife is after me again. This time it is the well. She thinks we need to shock the well.

of bacteria ie. slime in the toilet tank.
Am I right in thinking that if there isn't a problem I shouldn't try to fix it, or is it true that every well should have chlorine dumped into it?
Do you notice anything different about your water (ie. taste/coloration)? I also had a well and we used a local water testing company every year. They gave us a vial to fill with some simple intstructions. We filled the vial and ran the sample over to them. In a week or so we got a report. If there's nothing wrong with the water then there's no need to do anything.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Its not going to hurt, though to do it right you should not use the well for over 24 hours.
We had an issue with our well with coliform and shocked it over 26 times in a 8 month period. Anywhere from a gallon to 4 gallons of water (we were at 142' deep)
I'd say if you are going away for a few days give it a treatment. Otherwise only do it if you suspect there is an issue. There are many local labs that do water testing. The one that shocking will take care of is just the bacteria test. The Quantitative Bacteria test for us was about $45 at the local lab. Quantitative told us how much of the bacteria is present. Better then just a Yah, or Nah. You can get your water fully tested for several hundred !!
Scott<-

On 19 Jul 2006 07:27:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Chlorine is carcinogenic.
Be careful.