Do all wells need shock treatments?

My wife is after me again. This time it is the well. She thinks we need to shock the well.

From what I have read it is only neccessary if you can see the effects

of bacteria ie. slime in the toilet tank.

Am I right in thinking that if there isn't a problem I shouldn't try to fix it, or is it true that every well should have chlorine dumped into it?

Reply to
emailwaste

saag

Its not going to hurt, though to do it right you should not use the well for over 24 hours.

We had an issue with our well with coliform and shocked it over 26 times in a 8 month period. Anywhere from a gallon to 4 gallons of water (we were at

142' deep)

I'd say if you are going away for a few days give it a treatment. Otherwise only do it if you suspect there is an issue. There are many local labs that do water testing. The one that shocking will take care of is just the bacteria test. The Quantitative Bacteria test for us was about $45 at the local lab. Quantitative told us how much of the bacteria is present. Better then just a Yah, or Nah. You can get your water fully tested for several hundred !!

Scott My wife is after me again.

Reply to
Scott Townsend

Chlorine is carcinogenic.