Do all power tool makes do this?

Page 2 of 2

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Agree. Battery plus would probably beat that price.
http://www.batteriesplus.com/t-battery-plus.aspx
And/or check Ebay.
Or as other said, rebuild yourself. With a voltmeter it doesn't take long to find the defective cells.

It is partly to keep you buying new stuff, but also due to changing battery technology. A few years ago I don't think any battery-powered tools used lithium-ion batteries, and not many had nickel-metal hydride batteries. All are superior to nickel-cadmium batteries that have been around for decades.
Lithium-ion batteries have more power per pound when compared to nickel-cadmium batteries, plus they have some other benefits.
Remember when battery-powered household smoke detectors used 3" long, 1" diameter mercury batteries? (mid-70's) Do you want to go back to that?
i loved my 12 volt makita until my helper dropped it from a ladder and bent its chuck a bit. i replaced it with two identical ones [see what love will make you do] and upgraded the charger and newer higher amperage battery. one ebay sourced replacement battery even has led light on battery which can illuminate the drillbit tip! find a tool you enjoy for the comfort of the use or job. some of the units are just too heavy.
Stubby wrote:

If you know what I mean.
Sorry, saw too many episodes of Who's Line Is It Anyway back to back on some station this past weekend.
-- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /

They give the consumer what they want. Just because the 9.6 volt will do 98% of what the average homeowner wants, we envy those with 18V and now 24V even though they are heavy and awkward.
Get the battery rebuilt.