Do a need a plumber to change a washer?

In our bathroom we have a standard Gerber widespread faucet on a cast iron pedestal sink. After 22 years even though the cold water faucet was not dripping, I decided it was time to change the washer. (The washer on the hot water faucet has been changed a few times). Well, first the deep set screw that holds down the faucet handle would not come out. I stripped the head and had to drill it out with a left-handed drill bit. Then the handle would not come off without using a handle puller and a lot of torque. So now I need to remove the stem assembly, but it won't budge. Tried Liquid Wrench, a car store product called CFC Freeze-it and finally both Kroil and Aero Kroil. The stem assembly still wouldn't budge. I can't apply excessive torque as the whole assembly will turn. Is there anything else to try such as heat (I have one of the tiny lighter sized butane torches) and if so how should I do this? If nothing works, I will call a plumber to replace the faucet as I'm too lazy to crawl under the sink and remove the connection to the tap and the cold water supply and then try to get the faucet off.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Perfect example of the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.", hmmm?

Reply to
G. Morgan

I wouldn't have messed with it until it started dripping. Time to call the plumber and have him install a new fixture.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Actually, just the opposite. If I had taken it apart 10 years ago and greased it, it would have come out easily now.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

Don't mean to impugn your abilities, but are you turning it the right way? The two stems are usually opposite threads.

Assuming that's not it, try pouring in as much vinegar as you can and letting it soak in for a couple of hours to dissolve any mineral scale that might be in there...

HTH,

Paul F.

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Sounds like

  • Replace both faucet washers as a set (more often than 22 years, eh?)
  • Use some thread never-sieze on the screw threads
  • This from personal experience, always use brass screws to hold the washer on. Steel screws rust, and make a mess.

Might be time to call a plumber. You got your use out of the faucet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In this case both stem assemblies are threaded the same way (right hand threaded) and the stems turn the same way for on. However I did try turning both ways just so see if tightening would break the corrosion. It didn't budge.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

re: Actually, just the opposite. If I had taken it apart 10 years ago and greased it, it would have come out easily now.

OK, so why didn't you take it apart and grease it 10 years ago?

I'm guessing you didn't do it because it wasn't broke, which brings us right back to where we are today -

"Perfect example of the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Reply to
DerbyDad03