DIY store IDJITS!

Page 2 of 3

As a contractor and an occasional do-it-yourselfer I rarely send someone else for materials. When I do it is only after I have called in the order and verified the availability. Materials are too important for a job and should not be taken lightly. I shop around for the best prices and that usually means going to more than one supply house or home center to complete my list.
Sometimes I have customers offer to go buy materials thinking that they will save money. Although I cringe at the thought, I will give them a detailed written list, tell them where to go, give them a few days to make the purchases, and they always come back with an incomplete package.
When it comes to materials, you need to do it yourself. It is common knowledge that the employees of big chain stores are hit and miss as to their degree of expertise, attitude, and customer service skills. You just cannot count on someone qualified to be there to help you. Unfortunately shopping for materials is time consuming, but I consider it part of the planning process. A great deal of planning that is done at the beginning can be a big timesaver during the progress of the project. It always hurts if you need to stop in the middle of a job to run out and get materials.
Yep, I know what you mean about customer supplied parts. They think they can save two dollars, or they think they are "helping". And the part is wrong, or whatever. Very often they want you to share all your years of exprience to tell them what to look for, or what to avoid. And then at the end they want a discount cause they "helped". And if you give em enough wisdom and pointers, they just get the holesaw, or whatever, at the big box store, and do the job themselves. Which is what they planned, all along.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
steve wrote:

It happens that I spoke with an old friend two days ago. He's an ex rigger, ex construction generalist who I use for small repairs. He works in the lumber department of a Lowes, was "promoted" to manager and asked to be demoted after three months. When he doesn't know the answer to a customer's question, he calls an ex boss for information. His current shift is 3:00 AM to Noon.
He notes that of all the local Lowes, his is the only one that passed a recent inspection. Folks from his store were sent to other stores to work with staff. The staff who were supposed to be learning from him actually walked away when they saw a customer coming. TB
And, so, you just took their word (wife, and the store guy) that they got the right parts. Didn't check until the exact instant you wanted to start work.
I'd like to nominate Steve for the Idjit award. Ladies and gentlemen of the news group, do I have a second for my nomination?
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

Vote for the sure winner Stumped Moron.
--
Tekkie

I agree that it is you with the problem, not the store.
Why in the world would you even entertain the idea that these guys are anything but untrained sales clerks?
They did their job perfectly - they sold an idiot a part, just like they were supposed to.
If you want expert advice, call the experts. Licensed journeyment are trained.

steve wrote:

Hi, We don't have Lowes here but HD and Rona(Canadian). All the fittings I saw has little sticker attached to it with description and UPC code. And all the boxes on the shelf holding them are clearly marked what it contains.

Bahahaha... Have you ever actually checked the contents of these well marked bins? More often than not they contain a mix of all the stuff found in that aisle. The smaller the part, the more mixed up it is.

At Loew's I always have all my items priced at the register before I take out my cash or card. Otherwise they make you "return" the high priced (stainless steel etc) stuff that got mixed in with the cheap stuff.

Have you ever watch the customers (no I don't work there) grab something, look at it then just throw it back wherever?
I was in HD the other day. Woman comes up to me and asks is this what I have to get to put on top of the tape on the walls to fix it? <I don't know why people keep choosing me to ask stuff. I don't have an orange thingy on nor wear orange anything.> She had a bucket of thinset in her hand mind you. I'm like no. You need drywall mud. It's over in that corner of the store against the wall. She bends forward, puts the bucket on the floor in front of her on the floor in the aisle and walks away towards where I described. I guess she could have not bent over and just dropped it.
That's how shit gets mixed up. Think what kind of havoc she would raise in the plumbing section!
I hope she spent an hour looking for the bucket that said Drywall Mud. If I had known she was going to just leave that thinset in the aisle where she stood I would have told her to use roofing cement.
Noozer wrote:

Hi, That's some of us customers doing. Not putting things back into right bins after looking at them. They only think themselves, selfish slobs. Same kind of human beings who don't pick after their beloved dog. I see them all the time out walking my dog. There is 250.00 fine for that but they still do.

That only hardware. Wait till you see the spoilage in the grocery stores.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Besides, there's a big size difference between 1", 3/4", and 1/2" pipe. Not trying to diss the wife in question, but I've personally never had a problem differentiating between fitting sizes.
I go to the Home Despot and Lowe's because they have people who are knowledgable about what they STOCK, not for advice on what to buy.
Tony Hwang posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Dat's nize but once again your posts help no one.
--
Tekkie

time to visit www.homedepotsucks.org

I go to HD a lot. I learned the people who really know stuff, aka they really have done stuff. They do it professionally during the day or before leaving the line of work. These you seek out if you need some info. You get to know them and they get to know you. Some are extremely knowledgeable. The high rotation faces you skip.
Then the other side of the coin. I bring a coupling in that needs an o- ring. I was just gonna look til I found it. Wasn't sure if it was with the pressure washers or just general plumbing. So Mr. You can Do It, We Can Help approaches and ask what I need. I says an o-ring for this. Figure save me the time of hunting for it. He grabs a pack of assorted FLAT sink washers and hands it to me. Must be what he hands people no matter what they need. I'm thinking woa put this one out with the plants and bags of shit. I says thanks. He walks away. I find o-rings.

Although I like HD, they get an Aw-Shit from my last trip.
Putting up new shelving in a large closet. I had one shelf bracket with a hanger rod loop. Standard 10-12" bracket.
Get everything set mounting. On a HD trip I pick up two more brackets. Only 3 bucks a piece, Std white painted metal. Shelf all cut and fitted on side wall supports. Put new brackets up. The front of the shelf is touching the end of the bracket but where shelf meets wall there is a decent gap. Premounted shelf with levels and square. I check wall to perpendicular shelf with a framing square again. Fine. Besides. The one shelf bracket I had fit fine. Could that bracket be messed up? Checked with framing square. Fine. I check the two I just bought.The damn things are not 90 degrees. Pretty sad that a simple fixed shelf bracket is not 90 degrees. This I would expect from WalMart.

Why? The both buy from the cheapest suppliers and do everything they can to drive prices down. Could have even been damage from shipping. Consumes expect low prices, but they forget they are giving up something to get it.

You are absolutely correct but did not look damaged at all. Both pieces exactly the same.
Stopped by Blue Big Box. Ones I got there were square, a buck cheaper and flimsier. Further support for your statement.

Weeelll. If you suspect the hired help aint up to expectations how about providing a sketch of the parts so that both your wife and the store clerk have a pretty good idea of exactly what you want.