DIY store IDJITS!

At Loew's I always have all my items priced at the register before I take out my cash or card. Otherwise they make you "return" the high priced (stainless steel etc) stuff that got mixed in with the cheap stuff.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

That's kind of what I was thinking. Besides, there's a big size difference between 1", 3/4", and 1/2" pipe. Not trying to diss the wife in question, but I've personally never had a problem differentiating between fitting sizes.

I go to the Home Despot and Lowe's because they have people who are knowledgable about what they STOCK, not for advice on what to buy.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Stormin Mormon posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Vote for the sure winner Stumped Moron.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Tony Hwang posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Dat's nize but once again your posts help no one.

Reply to
Tekkie®

"Noozer" wrote in news:s2Rqg.124582$Mn5.30113@pd7tw3no:

Have you ever watch the customers (no I don't work there) grab something, look at it then just throw it back wherever?

I was in HD the other day. Woman comes up to me and asks is this what I have to get to put on top of the tape on the walls to fix it? She had a bucket of thinset in her hand mind you. I'm like no. You need drywall mud. It's over in that corner of the store against the wall. She bends forward, puts the bucket on the floor in front of her on the floor in the aisle and walks away towards where I described. I guess she could have not bent over and just dropped it.

That's how shit gets mixed up. Think what kind of havoc she would raise in the plumbing section!

I hope she spent an hour looking for the bucket that said Drywall Mud. If I had known she was going to just leave that thinset in the aisle where she stood I would have told her to use roofing cement.

Reply to
Al Bundy

"Steve B" wrote in news:14zqg.105611$iU2.75227@fed1read01:

I went to Lowes a few days back and returned something on the way in. It was 9.64 total. She opens the drawer and says she got no change. She calls someplace. Wait, wait, wait. Calls again, wait, someone shows. Says to her what do you want. She says change. He tells her he will have to get the safe opened to get it. Line grows....and grows.

So I says to her you got a 10 dollar bill. She says yes. I says gimme that and I'll give you 36 cents. She says she can't do that because the register won't come out right later. I'm like huh? WTF.

Reply to
Al Bundy

"steve" wrote in news:1152016488.469528.109070 @h44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I go to HD a lot. I learned the people who really know stuff, aka they really have done stuff. They do it professionally during the day or before leaving the line of work. These you seek out if you need some info. You get to know them and they get to know you. Some are extremely knowledgeable. The high rotation faces you skip.

Then the other side of the coin. I bring a coupling in that needs an o- ring. I was just gonna look til I found it. Wasn't sure if it was with the pressure washers or just general plumbing. So Mr. You can Do It, We Can Help approaches and ask what I need. I says an o-ring for this. Figure save me the time of hunting for it. He grabs a pack of assorted FLAT sink washers and hands it to me. Must be what he hands people no matter what they need. I'm thinking woa put this one out with the plants and bags of shit. I says thanks. He walks away. I find o-rings.

Reply to
Al Bundy

Hi, That's some of us customers doing. Not putting things back into right bins after looking at them. They only think themselves, selfish slobs. Same kind of human beings who don't pick after their beloved dog. I see them all the time out walking my dog. There is 250.00 fine for that but they still do.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Their all a bunch of dim bulbs over at GE.

Reply to
jt20639

Al Bundy wrote in news:Xns97F8B3346A63AlBundy@216.196.97.142:

Although I like HD, they get an Aw-Shit from my last trip.

Putting up new shelving in a large closet. I had one shelf bracket with a hanger rod loop. Standard 10-12" bracket.

------------ | / | | | / -- | / | / |/ |

Get everything set mounting. On a HD trip I pick up two more brackets. Only 3 bucks a piece, Std white painted metal. Shelf all cut and fitted on side wall supports. Put new brackets up. The front of the shelf is touching the end of the bracket but where shelf meets wall there is a decent gap. Premounted shelf with levels and square. I check wall to perpendicular shelf with a framing square again. Fine. Besides. The one shelf bracket I had fit fine. Could that bracket be messed up? Checked with framing square. Fine. I check the two I just bought.The damn things are not 90 degrees. Pretty sad that a simple fixed shelf bracket is not

90 degrees. This I would expect from WalMart.
Reply to
Al Bundy

Weeelll. If you suspect the hired help aint up to expectations how about providing a sketch of the parts so that both your wife and the store clerk have a pretty good idea of exactly what you want.

Reply to
ppp

In this time and day when small video cameras are so cheap and easy to install it should be easy enough to install one or more (close up + overview) at every checkout counter. The manager can then go to a cash register terminal anywhere in the store, get the picture and make a decision. He/she should be able to make an electronic approval too from his remote terminal.

Reply to
ppp

That only hardware. Wait till you see the spoilage in the grocery stores.

Reply to
ppp

Why? The both buy from the cheapest suppliers and do everything they can to drive prices down. Could have even been damage from shipping. Consumes expect low prices, but they forget they are giving up something to get it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's a really good idea.

Reply to
Eigenvector

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:KTtrg.8$hb3.3@trndny04:

You are absolutely correct but did not look damaged at all. Both pieces exactly the same.

Stopped by Blue Big Box. Ones I got there were square, a buck cheaper and flimsier. Further support for your statement.

Reply to
Al Bundy

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com:

That's how large companies are ran these days. All they care about are the bottom line expense figures on some spreadsheet program. All they care about are raw numbers. But they're hurting their future sales figures. Customers will gradually head back to Lowe's or to their local mom and pop hardware store (ours is owned by a former general contractor). I prefer Lowe's over HD because it seems that Lowe's has more employees, so you don't have to walk 2000 feet to find an employee when you're trying to find a particular item. Plus Lowe's seems to have better selection of items and is hardly ever out of stock.

Reply to
JDL

And it really is, mainly because there's usually never more than 2 or 3 registers open...

Reply to
HeatMan

They replaced the cashiers at my home depot with automated checkout machines. I bought a bunch of bolts the other day and had to enter each bolt's code into the checkout machine. It took forever. And each bolt didn't register on the scale so the attendant had to do something to let me continue.

Reply to
Gary H

Return on investment for investors (and bonus for the CEO) takes precedent over long term goals these days. Sure, profit is important to stay in business and serve customers, but the short term goals of high profits can kill you.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski