DIY store IDJITS!

Page 1 of 3
I gotta ask, do they have a mandatory IQ test to get a job at Lowes or Home Depot?? I]m guessing they do, and if you do not come in , in the bottom 10% no job for you. ( Apologies to DIY store folks reading who actually know what they are doing)
During a big remodel project, I send the wife to Lowes to get either a reducing T (3/4-3/4 to 1/2" CPVC) or a reducing bushing, or a reducing coupling. I need probably 20 of these. Well, the wife who is pretty astute with most aspects of DIY stuff except plumbing............comes back with a bag full of stuff NOT my 1st choice of the reducing T's but stuff that will get me from 3/4 to 1/2".
Being in the middle of anther aspect of the remodel I shelved the bag to use later. Well, last nite is "later" I got the bag out, opened it up.............much to my surprise/dismay.........the bag is full of 1"-3/4 " reducing stuff.
Now, I distinctly remember the wife calling to ask specific sizes when the Lowes idjit was trying to put the needed plumbing bits together, she had specifically asked for 3/4" to 1/2" reducing stuff, had showed the idjit the sizes , and even the drawing in her notebook........and he kept assuring her that what he put together was what she needed.
I just have to wonder........"WHY" ? Why would the idjit do that, unless he was simply.............an Idjit? This wasn't a kid either, it was an adult middle aged man. Of course, I guess I just answered my own question right?? If he is working at Lowes at 45-50 years old............
Ok, sorry to blow off, but this is not the 1st time this has happened at the big 2 DIY stores ( both of which are a 35 mile round trip from me).
I guess my own intelligence should be questioned too, as far as why I keep going there.
Oh well Take care ya'll Steve

You can thank Mr.Bob Nardelli, HD's current CEO for that. Back when Arthur Blank and Bernie Marcus ran it, the aisles were filled with tradespeople who knew their stuff-- plumbers, electricians, carpenters. Since Nardelli took over, he fired all the knowledgeable people to save money and put one former burger flipper in every three aisles.
That's his ideas of how to run a retail business-- I think he knows zip, zero, nada. What can you expect from a guy who came from GE. I guess he knows all about how to manufacture railroad locomotives, jet engines and refrigerators though.

"Maker of Rules" wrote:

who
former
And you must be one of the burger flippers, right? Botttom 10 %
The OP specified Loews, not HD in his post.
Try to apply a little reading comprehension before unleashing your ignorance here. Or, being in the bottom 10% are you incapable of reading?
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
"Jim McLaughlin" <jim.mclaughlin> wrote in message

Re-read the OP Jimmie boy-- it starts out talking about both Lowes and HD while the particular incident the OP related happened at Lowes. It is clear that his comment applies to both.
Are you so literal minded with so little ability to exercise critical thinking, generalize and abstract that you missed his original point-- and my response?
What percentile does that put you at my lad?
Their all a bunch of dim bulbs over at GE.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

That's how large companies are ran these days. All they care about are the bottom line expense figures on some spreadsheet program. All they care about are raw numbers. But they're hurting their future sales figures. Customers will gradually head back to Lowe's or to their local mom and pop hardware store (ours is owned by a former general contractor). I prefer Lowe's over HD because it seems that Lowe's has more employees, so you don't have to walk 2000 feet to find an employee when you're trying to find a particular item. Plus Lowe's seems to have better selection of items and is hardly ever out of stock.
-

Return on investment for investors (and bonus for the CEO) takes precedent over long term goals these days. Sure, profit is important to stay in business and serve customers, but the short term goals of high profits can kill you.
steve wrote:

Well, if you want knowledgeable service, shop at a store that hires them. Clue, it ain't the big box stores...oh, right, everybody shops at the big boxes due to the cheap prices thus running the good shops out of business and then complain about the poor service.
Harry K

Yes, it is a simple one question test.
Q. Will you work for $7.50 and hour and work nights, holidays and weekends?
If you answer "yes" report to the store manager for your assignment.

Ah, yes. You know the old saying "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice , , , , , ," Real hardware stores may or may not be better, but a plumbing supply house certainly would have been. Time to find better, more reliable sources.
"Real hardware stores may or may not be better, but a plumbing supply house certainly would have been."
Maybe, but they often have a 2 tiered pricing scheme, one for contractors and one for DIYers. If they can sell a contractor a hand full of tees for $XX, why charge me $XX + 40%? I don't go there except to fill large orders, and when I do I am treated like a second classed citizen. From my viewpoint, their business model is out dated, and they deserve to go out of business to someone who gives contractor prices to anyone who walks in. I'd rather get raped by bad service than overcharging, it is just sad that I must make a choice.

Then don't complain about hte 35 mile trip to Lowes to get the wrong parts. Add 40% to what you paid, plus the time and inconvenience and see just how far ahead you are. There are a few supply houses that treat the DIY second class, but there are a lot of DIY that treat the counter help the same way.

At least I won't be insulted by someone whose skill level is so high that he is working as a parts counter man. You know, the one who thinks I can't buy a gallon of sealant, self tapping screws, or a R&R sensor without being a contractor or "industry certified." And then being so stupid that I don't know the same items are half that price anywhere else.
Steve
I needed some sweat on copper fittings, so went to HD. I found them, and got a "contractor pack" of ten or so in a sealed plastic bag. But I needed 15, so I got five loose ones.
I got up to the checkout lane, and there weren't any bar codes on the individuals. I said just to figure out how much they were by the price for the bag and dividing by ten. She looked as if I had asked her to perform oral sex or a complicated calculus operation.
She called for the manager. The line piled up. She called for the manager. The line got longer. People were starting to talk. I said, for Chrissake, charge me for a bag. Said she couldn't scan an item twice. Against company policy and she would lose her job.
We waited longer.
After about ten minutes, I walked out, leaving about $250 in merchandise sitting there.
Steve

I went to Lowes a few days back and returned something on the way in. It was 9.64 total. She opens the drawer and says she got no change. She calls someplace. Wait, wait, wait. Calls again, wait, someone shows. Says to her what do you want. She says change. He tells her he will have to get the safe opened to get it. Line grows....and grows.
So I says to her you got a 10 dollar bill. She says yes. I says gimme that and I'll give you 36 cents. She says she can't do that because the register won't come out right later. I'm like huh? WTF.

In this time and day when small video cameras are so cheap and easy to install it should be easy enough to install one or more (close up + overview) at every checkout counter. The manager can then go to a cash register terminal anywhere in the store, get the picture and make a decision. He/she should be able to make an electronic approval too from his remote terminal.

That's a really good idea.

And it really is, mainly because there's usually never more than 2 or 3 registers open...

They replaced the cashiers at my home depot with automated checkout machines. I bought a bunch of bolts the other day and had to enter each bolt's code into the checkout machine. It took forever. And each bolt didn't register on the scale so the attendant had to do something to let me continue.
"Then don't complain about hte 35 mile trip to Lowes to get the wrong parts."
I don't; a: usually get the wrong parts b: travel more than 5 miles c: need that much help in the first place.

The problem as I see it is that these stores are becoming understaffed and many to most of the staff lack creoo-department knowledge and problem-solving skills. My HD (Ellicott City, MD) has more "know" people than "no clue" people, you just have to keep track of who's who.
Plumbing is the worst area in all stores because you really want someone who is a plumber and they can make a lot more money plumbing than they can make clerking! That is one of the reasons DIY stores are a great workplace for disabled tradesmen - they can really add value to any project.
Dick