DIY shower pan?

Besies not doing this, any thoughts on building a wooden shower pan? I have a small cabin that has space at a premium. My bathroom has enough room for a 24"x24" shower pan. My idea is to build a pan out of plywood and 1"x4" sides. Once the pan is built paint the wood. When the pan is in place bore a hole through the pan, through the sub floor, between the joists of the raised floor. The waste, gray water would drain through a hole cut in the wall.

This pan is only for collecting the water and will not be submerged. The water, once collected, should drain quickly out of the cabin. This pan is inside my cabin and not outside exposed to heat, weather, etc.

My questions include:

- What to use as paint so the wood becomes water proof?

- Is there a better way to do this?

- Should I abandon this project and buy a 32"x32" pan?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Maybe coat it with fiberglass. Probably not practical to coat it with some of that spray in bed liner for trucks.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I don't think it is a good idea. Water is bound to leak into wood somewhere and eventually cause rot. Plastic pan material over wood, with mud base and tiles would allow building any size pan.

Reply to
Frank

a 24 by 24 inch shower is tiny and will be very hard to shower in. you wouldnt have room enough to move.build a cardboad box, cover with a tarp then add a garden hose.

wood will rot, just buy a shower pan, they are cheap on craigslist....

Reply to
bob haller

Redgard comes to mind, or fiberglass it. I don't like your idea of drilling through it *after* you waterproof it, though; your goal should be to produce an item comparable with one you purchase, all of which are waterproof with the holes already existing.

Water heater pan?

Depends on the quality of your workmanship and the amount of time you want to spend on it. Do it right the first time, or you will come to regret it later.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I think we have a winner folks. I can't fathom how a 2ft x 2ft shower would work either.

you wouldnt have room enough to move.build a cardboad box, cover with a tarp then add a garden hose.

Reply to
trader_4

Damn, you must be one skinny dude to fit in a 24" shower. I'd not bother at that size.

No matter what you do with wood, it is not a good long term solution. I just took out a 34 x 34 fiberglass shower to make it larger (34 x 48). Maybe it could have been cut down to work for you. Probably Craig's list could help with that.

Where is the gray water running to? You made no mention of a drain and it sounds like it is just getting dumped on the ground. Over time you can have a mess from hair and soap scum.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Fiberglass it.

Reply to
clare

I did something similar on my sailboat years ago...shower drained into a pan in the bilge, pan was pumped dry by flipping a switch while drying myself. I had the pan fabricated from sheet copper.

None. If you want the wood to stand up, paint it with thin epoxy. There is one named Gluvit made for the purpose. I made a plywood water tank for the same boat...about 100 gallon, inside coated with Gluvit, used it for 10+ years, still good when I sold the boat.

I thought you only had a 24 x 24 space.

Reply to
dadiOH

If you decide to make the wood thing and epoxy it, don't use lumber for the sides, use ply.

Reply to
dadiOH

In my 12'x16' cabin I built a "bathroom" that is 58"x59". I can go to 32"x32", but I hate to spend the space for something that seems to only have a single function. I'll look for the Gluvit. Thanks.

Eventually I want to harvest the rain, build a porch, raised plant beds, solar panels, batch solar water heating, etc.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I have plywood scraps that I can put on the sides. Thanks.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Don't use wood.

Yes

Yes

I think you must do something with the gray water other than just dump it.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Why don't you glass it?

Reply to