DIY project: run 110 vac to tree in front yard?

Page 2 of 2

You have a few choices.
Temporary cord to the tree from an indoor receptacle. Receptacle on the outside wall of the house and then a cord to the tree Receptacle at the tree.
Last option is the most difficult. It requires a trench to the tree location, wire from the house to the trench and then up on a pipe with the box mounted on it. Check the code, but it must be buried 12" at least, but don't quote me, it could be more. Any outdoor circuit must have ground fault protection too.
Mounting a receptacle on the outside of the house it usually not to hard, but getting the wire to it can be. What makes the project big or small is how to run the wire. In my case I was able to drill through the wall from a crawlspace under the front steps, mount the box on the wall. Entire project as less than an hour, including a switch. Brick or stone houses are more difficult to do.
In either case, consider wiring a switch inside the house to control the receptacle. Advantages are that you don't have to go out in cold or rain to turn the lights off and on, you don't have to worry about someone using your electric when you are not home.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

LurfysMa wrote:

Not sure why a regular extension cord wouldn't work unless you want something permanent.
If for some reason you ever feel compelled to dig something like a trench in your yard, make sure you first call the utilities and have them mark buired cables etc. They do this for free (at least around here).

You can buy a 25' extension cord for around $5. I'd connect it to a GFI. If you dont feel competent to wire a GFI, you can get a plug in GFI for around $20. Total cost $25 and you wont have a thing sticking out of the lawn to mow around. Plus putting an outlet to a tree is not a good idea. The tree will grow into the outlet, and the roots may wreck the underground wire.
Besides, Christmas is less than a week away. Just decorate, get extension cord, GFI and be done with it for cripes sake.
By the way, I am a farmer and I have hundreds of feet of extension cords outdoors to run my livestock tank heaters. I am in the snowbelt too. I use GFI's on all of them, and put connections inside plastic bags. I even have an old computer case in the middle of my yard, where several wires connect together on a power strip. The computer case is under the snow right now, but it all works fine. Your 20 feet makes me laugh.....
:) california doesn't require recycling old car batteries by hanging them in trees connected to a 12 volt solar recharger and 12 volt christmas lights? :)
Better yet. Wiedamark sells solar powered Christmas LED lights. Put the whole thing in the tree.
http://www.wiedamark.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Categoryb5