DIY natural gas fittings

I overhead a part of a conversation and was wondering if someone here would be able to fill me in on a few details. I heard that you can get a flexible natural gas piping now, with fittings, so that you can run the line yourself and just get an authorized plumber to approve it. Is that correct? What is the pipe called? And fittings? Apparently it saves you getting an expensive machine to put threads on the traditional black pipe.

Thanks from sunny Saskatchewan, Caleb

Reply to
calebsg

I am in the business, and as far as I know, no manufacturer will sell flex to anyone that is not a licensed contractor with factory certification. Defiantly NOT a DIY thing. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Greg is correct, you must be certified to buy it.

The reason is this, if you put it together, how can the plumber or HVAC tech know what procedure was used to actually cut the material, the spacing etc. The only way a certified person can check it for sure is to undo all the fittings and then re-do them.

Rich

Reply to
GeoeMan1

Apparently it saves you getting an expensive

??? why don't you have the hardware store thread it for you when you buy it ? every place i have ever seen pipe for sale has a machine to thread it, $.25-50 cent a thread?

bill

Reply to
mcameron

Good suggestion, but Caleb is in Saskatchewan and may be an hours drive or more from the nearest hardware store.

Reply to
Loose Cannon

No. No supplier will sell SSF to a non licenced person that I am aware of, and you can ONLY get it on a roll, and the roll costs about $500US in 3/4 inch.

Depends on what brand you buy. We tend to call it SSF.

About $15 each..

Umm...depends on what you call expensive. My hand threader kit was about $600, where the power threader is about $1500.

Reply to
CBHvac

Well, for LPG the "standard" seems to be copper tubing and flare fittings. Don't know about NG standards.

It is relatively easy to make good flare connections.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Thanks for all your reponses. I didn't know the distribution was limited to licenced people, so that is helpful as well. And, as some of you guessed, the nearest black pipe store is possibly one hour, if I can get it down the road, but more likely 3 hours drive. Hence the DIY nature of my query.

Looks like a job to call the plumber in for.

Thanks again, Caleb

Reply to
calebsg

If you call a plumber, be sure he is licensed to install gas piping. A regular plumbers license does not cover it, it should be a "Gas Fitter" license.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Not sure about Canada, but here in the states, a plumber must have a gas fitters licence. I have several plumbers that we do gas pipe for, since they do not have the licence.....you MIGHT want to try a local HVAC outfit, as here, when you get your licence for that, its normally included in the ticket.

Reply to
CBHvac

someone here would

get a flexible

line yourself

correct? What is

an expensive

I bought a hand pipe threader for $10 several years ago at a used tool store. It may not be as fast as the machine, but it does the job fine for home projects.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Amen Bob,

Did my gas log and bar bq grill with black pipe. Gas guys gave it there blessing. Bought a pipe vice.cutter and a threader and still saved a bunch. OP said he would have to drive 3 hours for parts. I would drive 3 hours for this. Firsr I would see what I could scrounge locally.

Reply to
Jimmy