DIY Metal Halide Ballast box

I have a 1500 watt metal halide ballast but I'm not sure how to mount it. Can I just nail it to a 2x6 or do I have to put it in a box? Does the box have to have ventilation?

Thanks Michael

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Don't worry about ventilation, shortly after the 2 by catches fire and the place goes up there will be plenty of ventilation.

Reply to
Arty The Chief

This kind of ballast is used in commercial apps. There is no need to install one of these in resi, unless we have, hmmmm, a grow operation?

Reply to
SandroF1

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Ask stupid questions get stupid answers.

Reply to
AJAY the Jackass

Ask stupid questions get stupid answers.

Reply to
AJAY the Jackass

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Perhaps the places that sell parking lot lamps would be of help?

That is a really big bulb. Industry tends to go with multiple small things, like 250-400 watt lights, rather than one honking big one.

Works better when everything doesn't all go dark, when there is a bulb failure.

Reply to
John Hines

Check out rec.aquaria.marine.reefs ...You'll find many metal halide experts there.

Ryan

Reply to
R Carrington

Mount it to something metal, sheet metal, bar steel etc....this grounds it after you attach the incoming ground wire to your metal "frame". Also mount any cap/starter with metal strap to this frame. Maintain seperation specs, the top of the cap needs a little room to expand. Check the specs. Update your fire insurance and start saying your prayers at night.

I AM NOT AN ELECTRICIAN. I AM A WORTHLESS SNIVELING AHOLE WHO LIVES OFF THE SCRAP OF AHR. PAY NO ATTENTION TO ME. I KNOW NOTHING.

Reply to
AJ the NEC Guru

Most pressured light fixtures, HPS, LPS, Mercury, etc. Are designed for mounting on an arm or pole. Your fixture will have a model number and check the manufactures web page for the instructions.

Where I live residences are immune to the "dark sky" ordinance when the wattage is below 400 watts. Commercial is 250 watts. 1500 is going to light up the whole neighbor hood. Most 1500's I have installed mount at 20 plus feet in the air. They are directed down. Some MH need for the bulb to be in vertical or horizontal orientation.

Good luck impressing your neighbors. Street lights are 200-400 lights and the poles on the side of the freeway are 1500-2000 watt. Go to the depot and buy a 27 watt fluorescent and live happily ever after.

If you lived next to me I would be visiting your fixture with my .22 pellet gun. I like the darkness. I have fluorescent motion lights surrounding my home. They come on when there is a reason and are off most of the time. Neighbors like them because when they are in the side yards my lights turn on.

Reply to
SQLit

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

a HID lamp produces like 10x the light per watt over an incandescent.

Get yourself a single 250w MH fixture, and see how that goes.

Reply to
John Hines