DIY disasters kill nearly 600 a year

Page 1 of 2

DIY handymen are costing hundreds of millions of dollars in medical bills by putting up wobbly scaffolds, touching live wires and shooting themselves in the hands and feet with nail guns.
The traditional weekend activity is turning the home into the most dangerous place to be, new Accident Compensation Corporation figures show.
more..... http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid 595342

Damn, I'm glad I don't live down there where it's dangerous. I know I can safely finish my kitchen remodel and I won't get hurt anymore... once the bleeding stops... and the bones knit. At least that's what the firemen sad as the were leaving.
Gordon Shumway
Amazing what you can do with a little creative wording.
"An average of 11 people died each week from accidents in their homes in the year to the end of June - an annual total of 573."
I'd be willing to bet that "accidents in their homes" includes everything from falling in their showers to drowning in their swimming pools...

The article (From New Zealand) made it pretty clear that it was accidents involving ALL types of household activities; not only those which are generally considered 'Do it yourself home repairs'. They included insect sprays, garden activity such as pruning a tree branch, cutting fingers preparing food and/or burns in the kitchen.
One paragraph reads "ACC will be targeting home handymen - among others - during safety week, ....... ". And also mentions 25,000 (NZ) 'Insect injuries'.
So why DIY got such a bad rap is unclear. There was no mention pf staying in bed all the time; maybe that is a safe activity (conducted alone)? Watch that back and to not stubbing your toes on the foot of the bed; and also apart from not developing bed sores.
-snip-

Maybe the construction trades were behind it? As far as shooting yourself with a nailgun. . . I've seen dozens of these guys on TV with spectacular close-calls. Nails in hands & heads & feet---- and none have been DIY guys.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

It wasn't DIY, but I read recently about a guy in Indiana who was taken in by a chipper, a la "Fargo".

The deceased was 75% lean.
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Yes, in all probability is propaganda drummed up by unions that are scared because people are learning how to do things themselves and realizing that it's not that difficult.
Pete C. wrote:

There was a death in Florida a year or two ago...guy using a grinder, wheel broke and severed an artery in his neck. Tipping riding mowers or running over kids. Our condo building had a second-story sliding glass door broken by rock thrown from mower - it sounded like the wall had been hit by a cannon.
From the old days of working in operating room...toes chopped up/off by mowers going backwards. Friend's father who, just after retiring, got interested in woodworking - bought fancy shop equipment and lost four fingers.

I've certainly saved a lot of money buying autoparts online and installing them myself. I saved $300 buying a ball joint and replacing it myself,when mechanics would only replace the entire lower control arm;quotes of $400 for the whole job. (03 Nissan Sentra SpecV) The ball joint cost $15,and I borrowed the press tool from Advance Auto(at no charge),and bought a few other tools myself.
Next,the mass air flow sensor died,local cost $300 for the entire air flow assembly,remanufactured,OR $400 from the dealer new,I got a new sensor for $89 online.
What a racket....
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Metspitzer wrote:

I think the highways beat that by a long shot.

No matter how hard you try to scare DIY people, they will continue to do their own work because they CANNOT afford to have contractors do everything for them. Well, maybe Bill Gates can afford it, but regular people CANNOT.
Bert Byfield wrote:

Some do it because they want it done right. Or just because it what's they like to do.
Plenty of pros have accidents too.

...or both.
A couple of weeks ago I watched a "crew" of a so called home repair business put a roof on a house. Stripped old shingle off, only the shingles, and put new shingles on. Yep, right over the old dried out torn paper.

Bert Byfield wrote:

Oh no, I see a new federal mandate coming "DIY Insurance". Citizens, er, subjects will not be allowed to do any work for themselves without a federally approved DIY insurance policy and inspections from the Department of Household Safety and Security. I suppose it could be called "OH BUMMER CARE".
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Libertarian!
The DIY insurance will be mandated, even for those who do not want to do home repairs or who may even be prohibited from doing repairs because they live in nursing homes, apartments, or jails.

Bad as that is, reality is they may make us hire licensed bulb changers and circuit breaker resetters. Hammers over 12 oz. will be illegal.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Are you referring to the Assault Hammers?
TDD
Metspitzer wrote:

The control freaks are drooling over this to legislate what you can do in your home. Screw them.

How can this be,I thought NZ had gun control ???
;-)
Maybe it's because they are "down under".....
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik