DIY - Buy the right Tools - Learn how to do it right?

It used to be that people with DIY projects would take the time to learn how to do something (buy and read books) and would purchase the proper tools to do the job. The thing being either you pay someone else to do it, or you do it yourself the correct way and with the proper tools...
These days I'm seeing a lot of people who don't even TRY to learn about how to do something and don't want to buy the tools. They ask on the internet and seem to want someone to do all the work for them and tell them exactly what to do. And they think they can do ANYTHING themselves! ("Just tell me how to fix this!")
I think this is because of all of those DIY shows on TV.
They need a new set of shows on TV which explain that some things require learning and proper tools. Or that you need to call pro if you are not willing to take the time to learn about something. And that some things can take years to learn about...
Bill wrote:

When I was a kid back in the middle of the last century, "shop" was a class taught in the schools. I wonder if there is anything like that in schools today?
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I first learned about woodworking at the Boy's Club about the same time. I recently toured the same facility, now called the Boy's and Girl's Club. The old shop has been replaced by an Art Room. Something to do with lawyers.
Patrick Karl wrote:

Yeah Lawyers have a tendency to ruin everything. I wonder how we got along without them 30-40 years ago??? Better put on my helmet I'm going down stairs now.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

I picked up one of those magnetic trays yesterday for small parts sold for auto work. On the box it actually said to wear safety glasses when using it.
Red Green wrote:

Hell, it says that on a package of condoms. *snicker*
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

you'll shoot your eye out!
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

This is my weapon, this is my gun. This is for fighting, this is for fun.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Town I grew up in, shop class was a junior high thing, and did not teach anything actually useful. Who has a lathe at home, or a casting furnace? An artifact of an era when 2/3 of the HS graduates would be getting jobs in places like that, but still taught several years too early to be useful.
I learned most of what I know about construction from hanging out on job sites from single-digit age. First few years, pushing a broom and wielding a scoop shovel, but still educational. Didn't even realize I was learning, at the time. Ended up driving a desk for a living after college, because I realized I liked having Heat and A/C, instead of whatever mother nature provided, not to mention a regular reliable paycheck. (Things that are rather iffy at times in the trades.) But I do miss it sometimes, aside from the part about dealing with clueless silly-ass customers.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

I have a friend who is 65 and he started working in a cabinet shop at age 11. The woodworking knowledge he possesses is second to none.
TDD
Bill wrote:

Hi, Buy the right tool, I want to add to that, Don't buy El Cheapo tool, it may be harmful to you.
On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:54:17 -0700, Bill wrote:

Nah, it was never like that. Sure, *some* people did that and some still do. You're just more exposed now to some of those who don't.
Just like it is not any more dangerous to be a kid now than it was 30 years ago. We just didn't have all the bad possibilities thrust into our face via the media like we do now.

<snip>
I agree with lots of that. However, I also beleive the Internet is a viable replacement for buying books on a subject, just as I beleive asking for and sharing knowledge is a voluntary exchange of info - along with the caveats that have to be assumed when dealing with people whose expertise may be imaginary. People who base their own projects on DIY shows soon learn some very valuable lessons. So, do you learn your lesson from screwing up, or from doing all the research up front? I'd say it's about 50/50.
About 5 years ago I purchased a remote, run-down cabin. With the occassional assistance of pros, I managed to replace all the plumbing, upgrade the electrical, remove and replace rotten floors, deck, windows, doors, paint, woodstove, the list goes on. I had the advantage of not needing things to be done all that quickly or with perfect results. In other words, with a few reference materials I had the luxury of being able to self-teach. This reduced my screw-ups to maybe 25% from 50 ;-)
I think anyone with a desire to create would get a lot of enjoyment out of the type of improvements I did. Certainly after my week of city work, getting to a remote location to build a deck seems like a vacation. Substitute your own creative outlet for my remodel project...
The other advantage of my project environment is that there is no TV and no computer, until last year, no phone. There is time to assess, think through options and make the best decision you can. There is time enough during the week to research approaches and codes, etc.
If I had it to do over again, I would certainly change a few things. Due to money contraints I certainly did NOT get good quality tools - at least at first. That is truly a mistake if you are going to use a tool a lot - the OP was dead right about that one.