DIY Battery Backup Sump Pump System

Hello All,

I am in the market for a battery backup sump pump system. I have searched around for best pricing, and it would seem that everything is INCREDIBLY expensive (or so I think). I thought it was ridiculous to pay $130.00 for a small backup pump. I guess to soften the blow it comes with a plastic case (about the size of a cheap plastic tool box) for a battery and some PVC piping. In addition, you have to purchase a battery AND battery acid for $118. One system I looked at was $246.00 for the case and pump, $115 for a battery and $17 for battery acid. YIKES! This doesn=92t include what other miscellaneous pieces I might need. I would like to custom build my own for less. I have an electrician and a plummer in the family=85 So you may ask, why am I coming here for advice? The answer is, I would like to educate myself first and prepare said proposal before I approach anyone for help. I appreciate any advice on the subject. I really don=92t want to spend $500 on this project.

Reply to
papa smurf

Do you have city water or a well? If you have city water, I suggest a water power back up. After all a battery powered pump is not going to pump a lot of water too long before it depletes the batteries. The water powered jet pump will likely cost a lot less was well.

Reply to
jmeehan

is youre sump higher than the street or low area in your yard away from home?

if so dig a ditch and run a line to daylight, gravity tends to be highly reliable.

a battery sump pump will require replacing battery every few years, and ideally should have a seperate drain line.

so a single point failure cant occur.

Reply to
hallerb

Basepump and Zoeller make city water powered pumps, batteries and chargers go bad.

Reply to
ransley

You get what you pay for.

Regarding the other replies... I have installed two water powered systems that were POSs; I would want them in my house. Fortunately don't need a pump, let alone a backup, but if I did I would use a battery pump.

Reply to
jack

The "Pump Buddy" by Bur-Cam is junk, the pump works OK but the float operated water valve is so flimsy that after sitting in the off position for a few months, it won't turn on. The valve also drips water constantly.

I replaced it with a BasePump system. Works great and drains a lot of water quickly. A big plus is the fact the pump is not in the sump but above it, relieving a lot of crowding in my small diameter sump. Not cheap, but much better value than the flimsy Pump Buddy which is way overpriced for what you get.

Reply to
EXT

Thanks you all for your responses...

Jack,

Do you have a battery powered BasePump system, or is yours water powered? Was it very hard to install?

Thanks again.

Reply to
papa smurf

My Bad... I meant to ask that question to EXT.. not Jack... :)

Reply to
papa smurf

My Bad... I meant to ask that question to EXT.. not Jack... :)

I have the water powered pump with the 3/4" water supply and tossed out the Pump Buddy.

Reply to
EXT