Diverter valve replacement - spigot removal?

I need to replace the diverter valve in my tub\\shower - when using the shower with the diverter in the up position, there's still a considerable amount of water coming out of the spigot - I've tried lifting the diverter before I turn on the water, and I have the same problem - it's the kind of assembly where the diverter is part of the spigot, so I guess I need to replace the entire spigot - OK - but how do I get the spigot off of the copper water pipe that comes out of the wall??? Are the spigot assemblies typically threaded on to the pipe??? I don't see any fastening screws or anything on the spigot, but I do see evidence (scratch marks) that there's been a wrench on there before - I'm assuming IF it's threaded on, I'd turn the spigot counter-clockwise to get it off? It's been on there for a while - any ideas how to loosen it up before I break the pipe off behind the wall? Thanks!

Reply to
Texas Yankee

I looked - there is an opening on the underside of the spigot where it looks like you'd access a set screw, but there's no set screw - I'm sure - so I guess it screws on - it comes off counter-clockwise, right??

Listen for the curs> > I need to replace the diverter valve in my tub\\shower - when using the

Reply to
Texas Yankee

Some screw on some slip on and are held by a set screw. Look under the spigot and see if there is an opening to get to the set screw. If not I would guess it is screwed on. I hope I am right. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan