diswasher won't drain completely

A friend's dishwasher refuses to completely drain. What can I do to ensure the machine drains properly? She says the unit is 11 years old and is a Kenmore.

Also, she tells me the machine's heating element for drying has stayed on longer than the machine's cycle is set for. Any ideas on how to approach a fix?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
alacat

alacat A friend's dishwasher refuses to completely drain. What can I do to

First thing to look at is a plugged drain hose. For the drying issue, it could be the timer is starting to go. Easiest solution is to not use heated dry, which uses extra energy and is not essential.

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
alacat

Reply to
Gary Niskanen

The problem with the drain could be cause by several things. First, in older units they had what is called an air gap in the drain line. This keeps water from getting pulled back into the dishwasher via the drain. If it is clogged with food debris it will not work correctly.

This was replaced on some units with a "high loop" in the drain hose. In newer installs you put a loop in the hose at no less than 21 inches.

I venture to guess that her problem is with the timer. If the heat element is staying on too long, then the timer is likely not advancing as it should. This could also be the cause of the drain problem. The unit may not be draining long enough.

Dishwashers today are not made to last 11 years. I think she has gotten a good amount of use out of it.

Reply to
bnlfan