diswasher dying--any suggesitions for a replacement?

Hi folks--

I'm in the midst of catching up on home and car repairs before starting school again in the fall, and I had an applicance repairman over today. He replaced the heating coil in my oven, which needed doing for a long time, and also looked at my broken dishwasher--it hasn't been rinsing properly for the last week or so.

Since it needed a new motor and also another part, (total cost over $300) I decided against repairing it and will get a replacement. Do you all have any suggestions for a replacement model? The old one is from General Electric, and is 21 years old--so I think it has had a long good run and is ready for *applicance heaven*!

I went by Lowe's Friday and they had plenty of models to choose from, in all price ranges--but of course the *bisque* color (to match the oven, which now works great) is a special order. The in stock models are either white or stainless steel. However, my particular Lowe's store seemed to have mostly Whirlpool dishwashers on the floor. Are they any good or are there better alternatives?

Of course, I can wash dishes the old fashioned way for a few weeks until the new dishwasher gets installed, but I'd much prefer having a diswasher for the long term.

Also, my car is in the shop now for its annual inspection and some other minor repairs, and if all goes well I'll be picking it up tomorrow nite.

Thanks in advance,

Jean in VA

Reply to
Jean S. Barto

are you absolutely sure about that? I thought my had had it too, but I did 2 things and it was good as new. First of all, I took out the grid that covered the drain and found it was full of tiny pieces of plastic celophane and paper pieces, I swear, I have no idea on how. Next, I took a bottle of regular vinegar and poured it into the holes in the arms that spin around and squirt out water. I let it sit over night and then ran it the next day. There was no motor problem at all. That was years ago and it's still going. There are a few things that NEVER rinsed well even when new, and so even though it digest soft food, I always made sure that I didn't put anything in that had remnants of mashed taters, corn meal, or high fiber cereals.

Reply to
cozyhomelife