Distance between post holes for privacy fence

Can anyone tell me how to layout the exact distance between the postholes for a privacy fence with sections that are 6 feet tall and 8 feet wide?

This privacy fence has 3 rails that will fit into bored out holes on the posts. If I set the posts in concrete, how do I install the pre-built privacy fence sections into the posts???

Hope this does not seem too dumb... All help greatly appreciated ! Matt

Reply to
Matt Zack

Just a guess, but if the panels are 8' wide than you probably want to make the holes ~ 8' apart. Maybe a little less depending on how far the panels insert into the posts.

Set post, install panel, set next post, install next panel, set next post, etc.

Reply to
RayV

You don't set all the posts in concrete until you've put the rail sections between them, or do them one at a time, not putting concrete in the post hole until you've placed the rail section between the last posts. This will also ensure that the distance between the posts is exact I don't particularly like the construction you've mentioned. How do you replaced a damaged rail section if they are inserted into unmovable concreted posts?

Reply to
Willshak

Matt...Matt...Matt,

If you're gonna hang here u gots to be thinkin.

Dig the holes, 'bout 12" - 15" in diameter and 'bout 20" deep. Set the 8' posts in 'em with rails inserted. Brace everthing w/ misc lumber so all posts r plum (straight up and down). NOW, mix & pour concrete in all holes and leave 'em b for a spell.

Next

Reply to
Craven Morehead

better to install posts in gravel or at least sit posts on gravel before concreting.

otherwise posts will rot and in a few years you will be asking about replacing them:(

USE ONLY THE VERY BEST TREATED WOOD, some only treats the surface, and the interior rots away.

Reply to
hallerb

Craven - I like your idea..... makes sense to me..... Thank You Sir !

Reply to
Matt Zack

TY Ray ! You and Craven turned on the light for me!

Reply to
Matt Zack

Reply to
Matt Zack