Dissolving shower necks

Had a leaky shower, found it was the shower neck leaking right where it went into the elbow. As I unscrewed it, it snapped easily at the threads. Now, this is the SECOND time in about 8 years this has happened. The plumbing is copper, and the necks are chromed whatever. My house water is slightly acidic.
Is there a better repair for this, so I don't have to do it again? Is there a neck made that won't be this prone to corroding through?
Thanks,
Kelly
Kelly Jones wrote:

Plastic of some kind?
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMgmail.com says...

Yep. I just bought an inexpensive tub/shower set for a home I am rehabing, and the shower neck was heavy plastic. Nice chrome, looks just like a metal one.
--
Dennis

Sadly, many spouts, arms, and feed lines are now plastic. If you want a shower arm that lasts, select a solid brass one.

corrode rapidly with copper piping and acidic water. Try to find a neck made of brass or bronze to solve the problem.
Don Young
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 18:02:23 -0700, Kelly Jones

If your water is acidic and you have copper pipe, the pipes will eventually fail. Acid dissolves copper. When you get a chance, check the thickness of the copper pipe walls. They are getting thinner.
The only solution is a neutralizing filter where the water main enters the house, e.g. http://www.excelwater.com/eng/b2c/our_product_whcalc.php but there are many manufacturers of such filters.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Kelly Jones wrote:

I've got same problem having replaced a couple of necks over 30 year period. My well water pH is about 6.5 and shower necks are flimsy and corrode. I have considered neutralizing but figure it would be just another device to have problems with. I read that copper pipes have a life expectancy of 60 years. Whenever mine go, I'll convert to PEX.