Disposing "Phosphoric Prep and Etch"

I find Phospheric Prep and Etch--a phosphoric acid solution, does a good job ot taking rust off my grill. I have the grill in pieces and I'm very much tempted to dilute the solution and let it nibble at the grill in a large plastic tub over a few days. I suppose my big problem is how I should dispose of it. I know it etches concrete so I don't suppose it should go down the drain.
Outside of not doing this at all, the only idea I have is to let the solution evaporate down over days and then take it to a hazardous waste disposal facility; the initial, diluted quantity is going to be too much to transport elegantly. I just assume that the water will evaporate out over time. Does anybody have experience with this?
On 27 Oct 2007 18:43:22 GMT, Adam Preble wrote:

Phosphoric acid is commonly used in all sorts of household products. It is even used as a food additive. It's not very hazardous.
Just pour it down the drain.

It's probably best to make sure it gets diluted rather than having a slug of it stand in the plumbing - which if you have copper DWV, could be a problem. Phosphoric acid strong enough to eat rust will also eat copper - not very fast, but still...
I just flush it a couple of times.
[IIRC, coca cola has trace quantities of phosphoric acid sufficient to corrode a copper penny.]
--
Chris Lewis,

Chris Lewis wrote:

or just throw a box of baking soda in it, let it sit, THEN flush it down the drain.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Yes,NEUTRALIZE the acid before putting it down the drain(diluted). (do it outdoors,it may foam up)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:59:32 +0000, Chris Lewis wrote:

I've used Phosphoric acid to etch homemade circuit boards. Granted the copper was thousands of an inch thick it made quick work or it.

at what concentration?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 17:40:34 +0000, Jim Yanik wrote:

Was premixed etching solution and didn't pay attention to the mix. Just draw the circuit on a copper clad PC board with an etch resistant pen, lay it in a glass baking dish and wait 10 minutes or so.

often the solution to pollution is dilution, while constantly running water add acid and finish up with lots of toilet flushes
remember always add acid to water NEVER water to acid.
Would you suggest neutralizing with baking soda, first?
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Kuskokwim" < snipped-for-privacy@ak.net> wrote in message
"Adam Preble" <adamDOTprobleATgmailDOTcom> wrote in message

Don't know how safe or legal it is, but I would pour it along my gravel driveway. Comments?

I have disposed of muriatic acid on my limestone driveway. The limestone neutralizes the acid by foaming up.
On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:16:33 -0400, EXT wrote:

You could also use pepto bismol. It works on stomach acid which is mostly hydrochloric (muriatic) acid.

Lets see, pepto bismol or gravel, pepto bismol or gravel.... I guess I'll go with gravel.
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 04:20:30 GMT, Toller wrote:

I wasn't being serious.
Adam Preble wrote:

Unless you're talking about several pounds of concentrated acid, I'd just rinse it down the drain with plenty of water. Large quantities you could neutralize with limestone, like you spread on your lawn, or baking soda.
Frank