disposing of acrylic paint

How do you get rid of acrylic paint safely (environmentally safely that is)? I have a septic tank system, and I'm in the process of putting on a primer coat for the bedroom. The leftover stuff, very little is acrylic primer. So far I have taken the can, the roller tray, and the implements of destruction and put them on the patio where they should dry fairly quickly. I washed the brushes and rollers in a 5 gallon bucket, but what do I do with the water that is in the bucket now? Let it dry? When I looked up this matter in my county website, all I saw was references to latex paint but nothing about acrylic paint. Does acrylic=latex?

By the way, let me just mention this again, I'm on a septic system. It's my understanding that latex paint + septic system = quick death to the drain field.

Reply to
Eigenvector

dump leftover cleaning water on the ground. leftover water based paint can be dried out and put in the trash. leftover oil based paint should be disposed of as hazardous waste.

Reply to
marson

Pretty much.

I wouldn't worry about it. I'ts so thinned down now it won't hurt anything. If it really concerns you, let it settle, pour the water off & toss the resdue.

Reply to
Hugh Glass

Don't have ANY left-overs.

You appear to be trying to be a good "green" citizen, let me commend you. No doubt the petro-chem industry also would commend you so they can POLLUTE all they want. Now, if you REALLY want to be a good "green" citizen leave the 5 gal bucket outside let the water settle and evaporate. As it settles the paint solids will settle to the bottom and you can scoop out a cup or two at a time and flush them down your septic system. Be certain to get an environmentally safe insecticide to add to the water so you won't be breeding mosquitoes and spreading the Nile Virus. Eventually you will get to the bottom of the bucket where there is nothing but sludge,which you then let dry 'till solid and dispose of in the trash. Or, you can do like I do and wait till 1:A.M. and go pour it on your neighbors yard then get a laugh when he wonders WHY his grass is dying in just one spot. Of course I have a problem with my neighbor. Xeno

Reply to
Xeno Chauvin

Okay, maybe I'll dump it out into the compost pile, that should filter out the bad stuff before it gets to the water table and plugs up my drain field. I have 4 days before I put on the actual paint, so the bucket should be dry by then.

Reply to
Eigenvector

that reminds me of a story: a local college actually took all its old paint and sprayed it on a building that was slated for demolition. didn't want to pay to dispose of the stuff.

Reply to
marson

Reply to
maradcliff

Just dump the water and be done with it. BFD. Take your left over paint and toss some sawdust in the can to dry it out. Dispose of with your regular trash.

I always leave the paint cans on the ground around the trash can with the lids off, so the trash man can see that they are dry. They won't take it if it's wet.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Well you know it wouldn't do to pour toxic waste onto the ground, seeing how I didn't realize that acrylic was basically just latex paint. But even then, not knowing the intracacies of the chemical reactions between acrylic paint and the local flora and fauna I figured it would be best to ask first and then act in a careful and respectful manner.

But hey that's just me. But yeah, let it dry and toss it out with the trash then pour the waste water on my compost pile.

Reply to
Eigenvector

I dont think the OP has any cans of paint to toss, and yes, that is the way to get rid of it (let it dry). However, if it's still usable paint, GIVE IT TO SOMEONE. For example, if someone gave me some free interior paint, I'd be happy to paint the interior walls in my garage. It has some ugly green paint on the sheetrock, but I wont waste money to buy paint for a dang garage wall. Some people are far too wasteful..... I too want to be good to the environment, but "not polluting" is just the start of the project. Recycling other people's waste is another method. I get upset when I see perfectly good buildings crushed, and I see it all the time, especially in the cities. I built almost my entire farm from recycled lumber and other materials, and several of the buildings here I moved her myself because people were going to crush them.

Mark

----------------------------

Reply to
maradcliff

Recycling outfits take leftover paint, mix similar colors together, and sell it very cheaply to Habitat For Humanity or neighborhood improvement projects. If you have as little as half a gallon, recycle it. Any less, just let it dry and put it in the trash.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Reply to
Greg

:that reminds me of a story: a local college actually took all its old :paint and sprayed it on a building that was slated for demolition. :didn't want to pay to dispose of the stuff.

A guy I know who for many years mostly made his living painting people's houses tells me to just take all my water based paint that I don't want to use and mix them all together. Then use it as a general purpose paint on surfaces where I don't care about the color, or possibly as an undercoat. Could use it on wooden fences.

Then, do the same with oil based paints.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

:In article , m44 : snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Eigenvector) says... : :> How do you get rid of acrylic paint safely (environmentally safely that is)? : :Recycling outfits take leftover paint, mix similar colors together, and :sell it very cheaply to Habitat For Humanity or neighborhood improvement :projects. If you have as little as half a gallon, recycle it. Any :less, just let it dry and put it in the trash.

Yes, and I think I've heard of paint stores selling mixed left over paints for general purpose cheap painting. Recycling is definitely an option, or do as I say and mix your old paints together and use on low priority paint projects, such as the aforementioned garage interior.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Let what is in the bucket settle, pour off liquid. Wipe out the sediment with newspaper or paper towel and put in the trash.

Reply to
Norminn

Thank you. I'm utterly paranoid about my septic system. The cost of digging out the drain field would be enormous, but the cost of hooking up to sewer would be almost as much - 20 grand last I checked.

Reply to
Eigenvector

You know I actually don't have hardly any left over. Maybe a 1/8" in the can and the dregs in the pan. So in that way I'm happy - no wasted money or paint.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Dan_Musicant wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Bound to come out grey. People buy grey paint too!

Reply to
Al Bundy

Norminn wrote in news:Wx2Cg.1466$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Put in milk jug. Take ride with friend. Have friend whip jug at utility pole at 60mph. :-)

Easy there tree spikers. Just kiddin'!

Reply to
Al Bundy

:Dan_Musicant wrote in :news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: : :> to use and mix them all together. : : :> ....to use and mix them all together. : :Bound to come out grey. People buy grey paint too!

Yes, and some paint stores sell those mix-'em-together paints. Use it for things like walls. It's economy paint.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant